Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help creating home network

Old 08-23-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Help creating home network

My other thread about taking out the HD of my busted laptop and ordering an external enclosure for $10 so the new laptop can access the files seems to be obsolete.

Just as I was about to take apart the laptop, I pushed the power button one last time just to see if it would work. I guess it sensed execution since it turned on and I was able to pull a file off that I needed.

I figured the fastest way to transfer the files was the create a home network and just copy over the files that I need onto the new laptop. I'm having a hard time figuring it out. I followed the "set up a home or small office network" wizard and did it for both laptops. Neither laptop shows the other's files under "My Network Places".

However, the newer laptop displays the icon for both computers when I click on "view workgroup computers" but when you double click on the icon for the other computer, it says "xxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

The older laptop, when I click on "view workgroup computers" says "xxxx network is not accessible. You might not have permission blah blah blah. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available" No icons at all.

Both laptops are connected to the router (DSL) via ethernet cable. I know the wizard is supposed to make this easy so I must be a total idiot that I can't figure this out.

So this is where I'm currently stuck. Any suggestions? What info did I leave out so that the problem can be more easily determined and rectified?
Old 08-24-05, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
make sure folders are shared (right click and go to sharing, or it might be under properties and then a sharing tab)
also temporarily disable firewall programs, I'd disconnect the dsl line while doing this just to be overly safe
Old 08-24-05, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is your DSL modem also a router? If it's not, then there's no way to share the files. Another option is to email the file to yourself.
Old 08-24-05, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, the DSL modem is also a router. I'll disconnect the internet but leave the power on for the modem/router to be safe as you suggested, mike.

Where should I be when I right click and go to sharing? Emailing myself the files are an option, but it would take too long with file size limitations.
Old 08-24-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What operating system are you running? Are you running a firewall (zonealarm)? If so either disable it temporarily or if you can, give permission to the computers on your network.

To share a specific folder, you need to pick a folder that you want to share and right click on that folder. In the dropdown list you will see "sharing and security". Go there and click on "share this folder on the network".

FWIW, you shouldn't have to even run the wizard in you have Windows XP. When I plug in a computer to my network, it is automatically recognized. I have built alot of computers for friends and family and after I get it built, I just plug it into my network and download updates. No network configuring needed at all.
Old 08-24-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, I have XP on both laptops, no specific firewall programs running. I'll try what you suggested.
Old 08-24-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, I went to the laptop where the files I want to share are located and did just that "right click and sharing and security" and clicked that I want to share the folder with anyone on the network. I then go to the laptop I want to transfer the files onto and I still get that error message when I click on the icon for the laptop.

help!!

edit: I went to the firewalls section and selected "firewall on with the following exceptions" and one of the exceptions is file and printer sharing. what else am I not doing?

Last edited by runner001; 08-24-05 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-24-05, 03:07 PM
Banned

I never have luck with file sharing like that. Dunno what the deal is. So I always bypass it and work directly.

Open My Computer. In the address bar, type:
\\ipaddress.of.your.computer\
And hit enter. This usually works to get to a computers shares.
Old 08-24-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

great. how do i find out what the ip address of the target computer is?
Old 08-24-05, 03:14 PM
Banned

On the target computer, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig". It'll spit out some info, including the IP address.
Old 08-24-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ARGGG!! typed in the IP address of both the ethernet and wireless but explorer says "cannot find server".
Old 08-24-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
aslo try rebooting both after connecting the cables
I've had times when 2 or 3 reboots worked without changing any settings
Old 08-24-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I assume both computers can surf the internet? That would rule out a bad cable (or wrong cable).

If you go to control panel then click on network connections. You should see a icon or two listed under LAN or high speed internet. What is listed? I have 2 and mine say 1394 connection and Local Area Connection. What do yours say? Enabled? If you right click on Local Area Connection and select properties a box will pop up. Under the general tab it will list several protocols.

Here is what I have:
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing
QoS Packet Scheduler
NWLink NetBios
NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Do you have any of those?

Also under the Advanced tab you will see Internet Connection Firewall. Is that checked? If so uncheck that and try file sharing.

I have not upgraded to SP2 on my WinXP machine so the things might be a little different.
Old 08-24-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cajun, I have under "LAN" for the receiving computer only "Wireless network connection" and "Local Area Connection" and for the sending computer I have "wireless network connection", "1394 connection", "Bluetooth Network" and "Local Area Connection". All are enabled.

Right clicking on properties of a Local Area Connection I get:
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing
QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

The 1394 Connection is missing the "QoS Packet Scheduler", otherwise everything is the same.

I disabled the firewall on both computers. I have XP running on both computers. I have SP2 on both as well.

Still not able to transfer files. Could someone help me start at the beginning? Perhaps I did something I shouldn't have or didn't do something I should have and I overlooked it.
Old 08-26-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*sigh*