Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Google Talk goes live

Old 08-23-05, 10:39 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Google Talk goes live

Voice calls and instant messages.
http://www.google.com/talk/

What's next? Google browser? (that's just my own speculation)
Old 08-23-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eh, just another Jabber client. But, it is good that a gianormous company is pushing this open-standard stuff. It's 2005, it's past time to have a standard for instant messaging.
Old 08-24-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

pretty kewl program, i like google talk more than aim.
Old 08-24-05, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's nice is they actually point out that you can use other clients other then their own. http://www.google.com/talk/otherclients.html I remember with AIM or MSN things breaking in Trillian or Gaim and having to get patches to reconnect.
Old 08-24-05, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Odd because AIM and Trillian have been using Audio and Video for a while. This one's not for me.
Old 08-24-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

in other news, Google Stalk goes live:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435297
Old 08-24-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kinda lame. I was excited when I heard about this, but they didn't really do anything special here? I can't see people making the switch -- like many have for email, maps, and search engines.

No video? Eh.

Last edited by DodgingCars; 08-24-05 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-24-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Odd because AIM and Trillian have been using Audio and Video for a while. This one's not for me.
No video is odd, but there is audio.
Old 08-24-05, 09:15 AM
Banned

It's actually pretty cool. It integrates pretty well with Gmail and Google Desktop 2. I like it.
Old 08-24-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Serious question. So when does Google become the new Microsoft? You know, the company everyone loves to hate? You know it's coming.
Old 08-24-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cliffzig
Serious question. So when does Google become the new Microsoft? You know, the company everyone loves to hate? You know it's coming.
By then it will be too late.
Old 08-24-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Funny you should mention it...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/24/te.../24valley.html
Old 08-24-05, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quite a lot of people hate them already. Dunno why, the comparison isn't valid. Microsoft has a number of good reasons to dislike them, none of these reasons really apply to Google.
Old 08-24-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed. Complaining that they hire all the best programmers and pay them too much is just stupid. It's like an indie film maker complaining that Hollywood hires all the best actors and inflates their pay scales. Give me a break. When was the last time Microsoft released a product that not only complied with an open standard but actually urged people to try other products that use the same standard? (i.e. Google Talk) Microsoft's fucking WEB BROWSER doesn't even comply with W3C standards.
Old 08-24-05, 08:00 PM

As long as Google embraces open-source and/or standards, they can get as huge as they want.

Kudos to them for going with Jabber for their Google Talk core. They also made famous the 10+ MB email account for free, so they're a-ok in my book, even though I rarely use gmail.

I don't use Blogger either, but some of my friends do and they have no complaints. Now that MySpace is the "big evil", I wonder if Google's Friendster-type-network will take off.

Weird that Yahoo has everything + more Google has and loooong before, yet they're not loved like Google, not hated, but not loved greatly either. Ah well, anything that competes with MSN and prioprietary AIM is a plus.
Old 08-24-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yahoo is too big and totally not user friendly. I don't know if they still are but before Google took off, using Yahoo and trying to find things was next to impossible. their were SOO many sections, which is bad enough, but their main page is/was just a jumble of crap, you couldn't navigate it. It's like Windows vs. Mac, they both do the same thing but the Macintosh implementation is so much simpler and elegant. As Steve Jobs likes to say, "It just works."
Old 08-24-05, 09:43 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Google and their software is popular because it's so simple, clean looking, and free of piggyback programs. If I download Yahoo messenger, I get a bunch of other crap that I don't want. If I load up Hotmail, I'm bombarded with advertisements.

I tried out Google Talk today and I love it. It's as clear as Skype from the calls I have tested and I love the straightforward interface.
Old 08-24-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Flay
Google and their software is popular because it's so simple, clean looking, and free of piggyback programs. If I download Yahoo messenger, I get a bunch of other crap that I don't want. If I load up Hotmail, I'm bombarded with advertisements.

I tried out Google Talk today and I love it. It's as clear as Skype from the calls I have tested and I love the straightforward interface.

Yahoo is just too much. What attracted me to google years ago was their UI.

I'm sticking with Skype for a while though. I'll let 'talk' get out of Beta.
Old 08-24-05, 10:36 PM
lxl

Tried it. I think the UI looks OK to me
Old 08-25-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking of starting a topic on how people feel about the aesthetic quality of their software.

Certainly I prefer functionality over looks, but I do like a pleasant-looking piece of software over "simplistic looking." It seems that a lot of people really like simplicity (in look) and actually dislike, for lack of a better term, "nice graphics."

I don't know, Google Talk looks "cheap" to me. I think Skype and Trillian have a much better look to them.

And as for functionality, it seems that Skype still has the upperhand on VOIP and all the other IMs have the upperhand on features, especially Video chatting & group chatting.

I think GTalk is OK, but there is nothing there yet that would make me switch. And I think they're going to have a hard time convincing other to switch -- I mean if all your friends are on AIM, YM, etc., why would you use Google Talk?

This guy agrees:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in794510.shtml
Old 08-26-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Google is all for open formats. AIM, MSN, ICQ, and Yahoo are all closed, propriatary IM formats. The protocols Google Talk uses (And that are available on teh likes of GAIM, etc) are open, just like email. Imagine if IM was just as open as email, so anyone could make an IM program and you could talk to anyone else with an IM program, not just people with certain programs. That ahs been the push for years but so far there has been no major company to back it. Yahoo Messenger is very popular and Google seems to be slowly upping the anty against Yahoo in many of their products. If Google can get their IM program to be as popular as Yahoos, then the open IM format will have a fighting chance. As it stood up until yesterday, it was dead in the water as the major IM programs didn't support it.
Old 08-26-05, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I was thinking of starting a topic on how people feel about the aesthetic quality of their software.

Certainly I prefer functionality over looks, but I do like a pleasant-looking piece of software over "simplistic looking." It seems that a lot of people really like simplicity (in look) and actually dislike, for lack of a better term, "nice graphics."

I don't know, Google Talk looks "cheap" to me. I think Skype and Trillian have a much better look to them.
I agree with Shaun that Google's interface has that Mac feel of clean, efficient and functional, for the average user. I can see your point of functionality versus simplicity and I think these programs often disappoint the "power user", and perhaps even the average user in the long run. I wouldn't judge Talk too harshly at this time though because it is beta1. Take a look at Desktop beta 2 for a more functional Google UI.

The interfaces certainly don't look cheap to me because they use good combination of graphics, dynamic feedback and animation to provide a feeling of substance. For instance with the Google Talk beta when you change your away/busy state the menu arrow adjusts to the width of the field in an animated fashion and the contact list reacts to quick mouse-overs and presents more information if the mouse hovers for a second. Their interface are generally very intuitive and easily customizable (to an extent) usually using drag-n-drop type designs like the Google homepage and Google Desktop.
Old 08-26-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir
I agree with Shaun that Google's interface has that Mac feel of clean, efficient and functional, for the average user. I can see your point of functionality versus simplicity and I think these programs often disappoint the "power user", and perhaps even the average user in the long run. I wouldn't judge Talk too harshly at this time though because it is beta1. Take a look at Desktop beta 2 for a more functional Google UI.

The interfaces certainly don't look cheap to me because they use good combination of graphics, dynamic feedback and animation to provide a feeling of substance. For instance with the Google Talk beta when you change your away/busy state the menu arrow adjusts to the width of the field in an animated fashion and the contact list reacts to quick mouse-overs and presents more information if the mouse hovers for a second. Their interface are generally very intuitive and easily customizable (to an extent) usually using drag-n-drop type designs like the Google homepage and Google Desktop.
I guess, by cheap-looking, I was talking more about graphically. There are certainly some nice features -- my favorite being that when you have a chat window minimized and your buddy IMs you, it pops up a little talk-bubble showing what he said. This is great for when you don't need to respond -- for instance your friend just saying "brb." I don't need to open the window to see that.

They have promised to add a bunch of features to GTalk and when they do, I might consider switching over. Right now most of my friends and family use AIM and Yahoo (so I use trillian).
Old 08-26-05, 02:53 PM
Banned

All the pretty extra graphics are the reason I don't use any major IM program. I used to use ICQ back in the day, then it got overcomplicated, so I switched to MSN, then it became ad-ridden and with too much useless graphics on it, so I switched to Trillian. But that got too massive on my screen and none of the skins had that simple interface look to them, so I stopped using IM's entirely. I also tried Skype for a while but disliked it.

I like GTalk because it's clean and simple. I don't *need* all that extra prettiness. Yes, I want it to be clean; no, I don't want it to be cluttered. Buttons should look like buttons, text should be easy to see, there should not be any areas that are there just so they can put a pleasant picture of freakin' trees or something in there. I turn off avatars on forums for the same reason. Useless graphics.

I'm not opposed to programs looking nice and clean, but I am opposed to graphics for graphics sake. I want clean and easy to use interfaces, not pretty ones.
Old 08-26-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Otto
I'm not opposed to programs looking nice and clean, but I am opposed to graphics for graphics sake. I want clean and easy to use interfaces, not pretty ones.
I want pretty ones that are easy to use.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.