Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can't change default view in Office apps

Old 08-23-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't change default view in Office apps

For some reason, when I change my default view settings in Word or PowerPoint, they are lost when I reopen a document.

For instance, I would like zoom to be set at 125%, view to be Print Layout w/o the spaces. So, as the help file says, I change these things through the menus (view -> zoom -> zoom to 125%, tools -> options -> uncheck "white space between pages"). If I'm understanding correctly, this is supposed to change the default settings. If I just close the file and reopen, so settings are saved. If I save the file, the settings are saved for that file, but not for all other files.

I installed Adobe Acrobat awhile back, and it added certain buttons to my toolbar. I believe this may be the culprit. If I move toolbars around or add and remove buttons, after I close the file, these settings are lost.

After looking around some on the net, I see mentions of a "normal.dot" template that supposedly has all these settings, but I do not have one of these files on my computer.
Old 08-23-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, you do.

With Word closed, Go into WIndows Explorer and navigate to:
C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

delete the normal.dot

Re-Open Word. It will re-create it when Word restarts
Old 08-24-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Before I posted, I did a search on the computer, and it wasn't found. However, it was located where you told me. However, I noticed that it hadn't been modified since September of last year. When I delete it and then restart Word, it does not create a new "Normal.dot." So, I wonder if Word just isn't trying to save the changes to a template file.