Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Home wireless network connection problems

Old 08-22-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Home wireless network connection problems

I have searched and found plenty of threads, but no answers for me. I asked this a while ago at the end of a different thread with no success, but maybe a new thread will provide what I need.

I set up a wireless network not long ago, and went through various trials and tribulations to get it going, but I finally got it to work.

However, it doesn't work consistently. I can be connected for, say, 30 minutes, and suddenly it will drop me. It will reconnect, maybe, then spend minutes trying to acquire an IP address. Sometimes the "Repair this connection" helps, but more often it just spends all that time trying to get an IP address, and times out. Sometimes turning off the modem/router helps, but that sort of defeats the purpose of the wireless network, if every 30-45 minutes you need to walk over to the router to turn it off and on. Sometimes even after it gets the IP address it won't work, then suddenly it'll start connecting and I'm surfing again. Until the next time it drops me.

When the connection is working, it works great (ie fast). I have already tried changing the broadcast channel, would trying yet another different # be worth it? Is it possible this is a Comcast problem? I have avoided calling them because, well, it's Comcast and they suck, but should I call them?

I am running Windows XP and the router is a Linksys, if any of that matters.
Old 08-22-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I have searched and found plenty of threads, but no answers for me. I asked this a while ago at the end of a different thread with no success, but maybe a new thread will provide what I need.

I set up a wireless network not long ago, and went through various trials and tribulations to get it going, but I finally got it to work.

However, it doesn't work consistently. I can be connected for, say, 30 minutes, and suddenly it will drop me. It will reconnect, maybe, then spend minutes trying to acquire an IP address. Sometimes the "Repair this connection" helps, but more often it just spends all that time trying to get an IP address, and times out. Sometimes turning off the modem/router helps, but that sort of defeats the purpose of the wireless network, if every 30-45 minutes you need to walk over to the router to turn it off and on. Sometimes even after it gets the IP address it won't work, then suddenly it'll start connecting and I'm surfing again. Until the next time it drops me.

When the connection is working, it works great (ie fast). I have already tried changing the broadcast channel, would trying yet another different # be worth it? Is it possible this is a Comcast problem? I have avoided calling them because, well, it's Comcast and they suck, but should I call them?

I am running Windows XP and the router is a Linksys, if any of that matters.

This sounds like the problem i had.
Do you have that "IEEE" option clicked on in your wireless connection?
If yes, just unclick it and it should solve your problem.
Old 08-22-05, 11:03 AM
Banned

I have already tried changing the broadcast channel, would trying yet another different # be worth it?
Yeah, it might be worth it. Try channels 1, 6, and 11. Trying any other channel number is more than a little pointless.

Is it possible this is a Comcast problem?
Not really.

One thing you might consider is that it's your computer. XP has had some issues with its "Wireless Zero Configuration" in the past and these can cause problems for some people. Make sure you have applied all Windows Updates, and if you still have issues, google for how to turn of the Wireless Zero Config and manually configure the thing. Might help out somewhat.

Failing that, return/replace the router. Might have gotten a bad one.
Old 08-22-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by timewaster
This sounds like the problem i had.
Do you have that "IEEE" option clicked on in your wireless connection?
If yes, just unclick it and it should solve your problem.
where is that? in the router setup? in windows? looked all over for it, couldn't find that...
Old 08-22-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Start - Control Panel - Network and Area Connections - Network Connections - r/click to properties on Local Area Connection - Authentication Tab - Enable IEEE ....
Old 08-23-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

hmmm, can't enter anything there, it's grayed out (unchecked).
Old 08-23-05, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

What type of router do you have? Is it b? g? g with SpeedBooster? What brands?

What kind of cards do the PCs have? b? g? SpeedBooster? Internal? External? What brands?
Old 08-23-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The router is a Linksys b, don't know about speedbooster, don't know what that is. I don't know what the computers have, because it's not just my pc that has this problem. My PC is a 1 1/2 year old Dell that cost only $400 (no monitor), so it's low end, but fairly recent low end.