Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Computer messages and situations that DRIVE YOU ABSOLUTELY NUTS!!!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-19-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey all,

My all time favorite is when you install something and it says "You now need to restart your computer to finish the installation," then when you go to reset the computer, it says "Warning, the installation has not been completed yet, resetting the machine will interrupt the process.".....

AAAAAArrrghh!

Your turn,

Matt!
Old 08-19-05, 09:05 PM
X
Administrator

"Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue."
Old 08-19-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haha -- good one!
Old 08-19-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That time I couldn't find my "Any" key.
Old 08-19-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whenever you do a Windows Update, but choose to restart later. Every five minutes or so the stupid window pops up and interrupts whatever you were doing to "remind" you to restart. I know somebody out there has accidentally clicked "restart now" when it pops up right when they were about to click something (and before they saved whatever they were working on).

Last edited by sdcrym; 08-19-05 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-20-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Right now, it's "login.yahoo.com not found"
Old 08-20-05, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sdcrym
Whenever you do a Windows Update, but choose to restart later. Every five minutes or so the stupid window pops up and interrupts whatever you were doing to "remind" you to restart. I know somebody out there has accidentally clicked "restart now" when it pops up right when they were about to click something (and before they saved whatever they were working on).

http://www.xiven.com/weblog/2004/05/...rtYourComputer
Old 08-20-05, 03:25 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 08-20-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HN,

Dude, that's classic!!
Old 08-20-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by HN
I hate that one also. I've never had it be able to find the software online.
Old 08-20-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HN
In defense of Microsoft, you could be installing a second Ethernet controller or have a modem connection, so it does make some sense. However, I do agree that it would be nice to have that selection disabled if no active network connection is present.
Old 08-20-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually my mb does have 2 ethernet connections and I got that message when I was messing around in my device manager. Still funny though.........
Old 08-20-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I'm getting tired of being asked if I want to save my password, by Internet Explorer.
Old 08-20-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hate the "would you like to send the info to MS" box when something randomly stalls out and quits.

Is there a way to turn that shit off?
Old 08-20-05, 09:58 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I hate the "would you like to send the info to MS" box when something randomly stalls out and quits.

Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> Error Reporting button. Choose from there.
Old 08-21-05, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ever since I was having some trouble with my external hard drive, I've developed a twitch every time the little 'pop' sound happens when the bubble opens in the bottom right corner.
Old 08-21-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Actually that is a somewhat helpful feature, I reported crashing in explorer.exe one time and it redirected me to a knowledgebase that helped me to determine the hard drive was screwed up.
Old 08-21-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Ever since I was having some trouble with my external hard drive, I've developed a twitch every time the little 'pop' sound happens when the bubble opens in the bottom right corner.

I know that twitch all too well.
Old 08-22-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by HN
Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> Error Reporting button. Choose from there.
sweet. Thanks.
Old 08-22-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

lpt1 on fire

- David Stein
Old 08-22-05, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Alvis
I hate that one also. I've never had it be able to find the software online.
While I get the funny there, until recently I'd never been able to have it find anything that way. When I built my new system a couple weeks ago, and it asked for drivers, I let it go search and it actually found the latest, correct, drivers and installed them. Even got some (not all) of the associated software to adjust settings and such.

Originally Posted by sfsdfd
lpt1 on fire
I love the history behind that one. Old unix stuff. Back in the day, parallel ports (input-only) had some status code returns.. Ready, online, offline, check, etc. "Check" was, essentially, an unknown error, usually a paper jam. means "check the printer".

They had these old drum printers, which has the alphabet on a big drum of rings. One ring per column of printing capability. Between this and the paper was a ribbon, that was about 10 feet long. The drum rotated at about 2000 RPM and up. When the character was in the right place, a hammer smacked the paper into the ribbon and thus into the moving drum, making the character imprint. The ribbon also moved back and forth. When it got to the end of the length, it triggered a switch to reverse direction.

What happened was that when the ribbon wore down, it tended to to slide more and more towards the side of the printer that was used more often. The ribbon shrinks from the repeated impacts, basically, and the reverse switch was triggered slightly differently. When this happened, the ribbon would start to bunch up on one side. This leaves the drum rotating in direct contact with the paper, but just barely so, generating lots of paper dust. The ink ribbon also gives off dust all the time anyway, from the same basic principle.

The cleaning solution for all this mess was denatured alcohol, and the fumes from it tended to soak into the ribbon over time. You can see where this is going.

If the printer doesn't jam up and cause somebody to come by and clean the thing, then the friction of the drum against the paper could cause the paper dust and ink dust combination to catch fire, fueled by the alcohol fumes, and this lights up the paper itself.

A paper jam would set off that "check" signal on the parallel port, and the computer would stop sending data and trigger a message to the person on the keyboard. But the signal that stopped the drum spinning was a different sensor, and would cause an "offline" error to be sent to the computer.

So, whoever wrote that original bit of code made it so that if the check signal was received from the printer, but not the offline signal, then the terminal spat out "lpdx on fire", meaning that the drum was still spinning, but the paper wasn't moving, and thus a fire was very likely.

Last edited by Otto; 08-22-05 at 01:48 PM.