Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Sharing Windows CD key?

Old 08-19-05, 06:02 PM
Li

Sharing Windows CD key?

I got a Windows CD with my current computer and have used it on one other computer in the house to re-install windows. Anyone know what the consequences of allowing a friend to use the key? Are there any?
Old 08-19-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to Microsoft, I know that Windows XP Pro can be legally installed on 1 desktop and 1 laptop. I called them to make sure. Of course, Gates, Inc assumes they are the same owner.
Old 08-19-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think its like a 2,000,000.00 Fine and 20 years in the Big House!!!! Just kidding, I always wondered that myself. Anyone know?
Old 08-19-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unless it is writing, I wouldn't trust a verbal call even if it was MS you were talking to. Not to say it isn't true.

Each CD Does not have a unique Key
Old 08-19-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk God

microsoft is generally very specific about the licensings
and that has always meant only on one machine.. that 50/50 desktop/laptop should be on snopes, because Ive heard it alot, but our software reps all say its BS
Old 08-19-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree, the 1 license for 1 desktop and 1 laptop is BS. Shit, when it was time to renew the Microsoft Select agreement, they wanted to charge licenses for the copies in the tape backups!
Old 08-19-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the activation requirement is more stricter than people may realize. I think in some cases, even an overclock can make microsoft think you're using different hardware and will ask you to call them. I had to call microsoft to activate my copy of xp office academic just for reinstalling it on a new hard drive on the same machine.

I don't know if the requirements are the same for windows and office, it might be different.

But the 2003 office (maybe only the academic version) says it can be installed on up to three computers. That still might mean you need to call microsoft to activate the last two computers.
Old 08-19-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
But the 2003 office (maybe only the academic version) says it can be installed on up to three computers. That still might mean you need to call microsoft to activate the last two computers.
iirc, this is only for the academic versions (which are pretty easy to justify purchasing).
Old 08-19-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Microsoft sends out the MS-SWAT team!

Actually, if you're talking about XP, it just says that the copy of Windows has already been installed on another machine, and if you feel it's in error to call some number. If you call the number they'll just tell you to uninstall it on the first computer, regardless of what you say.

I ran into this at my previous job when the computer that had previously had it installed on it was nowhere to be found. We ended up having to buy a new copy of XP but as a consolation prize we had a nice coaster from the previous copy.
Old 08-19-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is why I love my company's enterprise agreement.
Old 08-19-05, 10:28 PM

Microsoft Office 2003 can be installed to two computers, per the EULA. I actually read the EULA (I was bored one day in the office) and discovered this. As for the operating system, I believe that's strictly a one machine per license deal.
Old 08-19-05, 10:53 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally Posted by Shadow Ace
Microsoft Office 2003 can be installed to two computers, per the EULA. I actually read the EULA (I was bored one day in the office) and discovered this. As for the operating system, I believe that's strictly a one machine per license deal.
They are referring to the 2003 Student & Teacher Edition. You can install it on up to 3 home machines for noncommercial use.
Old 08-19-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, when I installed XP Pro on both computers, everything went fine, including getting all updates and validations. of course, YMMV.
Old 08-22-05, 12:28 PM

ive been wondering about this too. i installed win xp pro using my schools software and im using my brothers copy of office 2003 pro on my pc in addition to his. will this give me a problem? will the new ms authenticator say im doing something wrong?
Old 08-23-05, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You'll do 5 years in a pound me in the ass prison for that!
Old 08-23-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by costanza187
You'll do 5 years in a pound me in the ass prison for that!
Nice Office Space quote!
"pound me in the ass"