Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

SIRIUS & DVD in car setup...what do I need?

Old 08-19-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SIRIUS & DVD in car setup...what do I need?

Ok, I have a Scion tC and I'm looking to put a DVD player in there along with SIRIUS. I see that Kenwood and Pioneer make Double DIN units that SHOULD fit in my car and they are satellite ready. What exactly does that mean, ready? Do I still have to buy one of those receivers or is there something better? I guess, what is the "best" or "cleanest" way to install this in my car. I would like to be able to take the SIRIUS unit out of my car so I can use it at work or in the house.

THANKS!
Old 08-22-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone?
Old 08-22-05, 11:14 AM
Banned

In a headunit, "Satellite Ready" means that it has the capability of connecting a satellite tuner box to it and getting the satellite signals to the headunit. The headunit controls the satellite tuner directly, everything happens on the headunit's display.. It's basically integrated.

Generally speaking, these are NOT removable devices. The tuner is built into the car in some way. In the specific case of Pioneer, you get the SIR-PNR1 box and attach it to the head unit and an antenna and such and mount it somewhere hidden (trunk, under the seat, whatever). It is a very clean install, as all you ever see is the headunit. However, these setups usually cost more and like I said, you can't take it with you.

If you simply want a removable satellite attachment and such, then you need to look at the following:
-Headunits with AUX inputs. These allow you to attach basically any audio device to them. Rear AUX inputs will look cleaner than front ones in the long run, but you will have to run cables in a hidden way.
-Satellite tuner devices with nice mounting brackets to mount somewhere in your car. Ideally, dropping the thing in it's cradle should attach both the audio and the power and the antenna.
Old 08-23-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks...I guess I'd rather have the seperate unit so I can take it anywhere. I'll look into a few DVD head units....whenever I get the money.
Old 08-23-05, 11:32 AM
Banned

Also remember that "removable" = "easier to steal". Might be worth considering where you listen to the radio too. If the only real answer is the car, then a built in system might be worth it.
Old 08-23-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I listen at work all the time, so I would probably get a docking station at work to listen to it.

I first want to get a DVD player....the Eclipse one looks nice, but pricey. Supposedly it fits perfectly in my car with no modification.

Plus, that is what Insurance is for, they steal it....oh well. I'd probably take it in with me most often anyways, plus car is always in a garage at night.