Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

When is Firefox going to fix the memory use issues?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-18-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

I love FF but the memory usage sucks.
just now, with a measily 3 tabs open it started using 317MB, yes MEGA Bytes of memory. First time I've seen it that high, although it regularly goes over 100.
Old 08-18-05, 10:52 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

does one or several of the tabs have a java applet or flash something or other running? i notice that shoots the ram usage way up
Old 08-19-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by HN
does one or several of the tabs have a java applet or flash something or other running? i notice that shoots the ram usage way up

Java seems to knock FF's memory usage on its ass. I usually end up closing out then ctrl alt del'ing and ending process on ff.
Old 08-19-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is the way it is SUPPOSED to work. FF just uses a lot of memory for caching. It never uses more than is reasonably available, and it will give it up when necessary. If you minimize FF, the usuage will drop to almost nothing because it will clear the cache.
Old 08-19-05, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
that's another thing.
I manually set the memory cache option to something relatively small, like 20 megs, and it still uses crazy amounts of memory
I had issues with IE, but never huge memory usage
there's no need for using that much memory for 3 tabs of forum pages with little or no pictures posted

Last edited by mikehunt; 08-19-05 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-19-05, 06:17 AM

the memory usage problem annoys me, but I've also noticed a problem lately where I occasionally lose ability to browse after a while, until I close the browser and open it back up again.
Old 08-19-05, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by lucasorion
the memory usage problem annoys me, but I've also noticed a problem lately where I occasionally lose ability to browse after a while, until I close the browser and open it back up again.

Same here. Links won't click and things just freeze up. Or FF just shuts down on its' own and all the windows shut down. Another thing I get is a message about some Dynamic Link being screwed up and that I should shut FF down. So I do and when I try to open FF after closing the windows, it asks me to create a new user profile and it won't let me do anything until I do. The first time that happened I created new profile I lost all my Favorites. But then I learned to just hit crtl alt del then select FF and "end process" instead when that "DLL" message pops up.

I've seen it were "Firefox.exe" is still listed in Processes using 50,000 to 80,000 K of Mem. This is when NO FF browser windows were open.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-19-05 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-19-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

never had it stop browsing, but I've had it stop allowing me to type anything into forum reply boxes
Old 08-19-05, 08:12 AM

Mine is currently using 68,000 K, with 7 tabs open.
Old 08-19-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I've seen it were "Firefox.exe" is still listed in Processes using 50,000 to 80,000 K of Mem. This is when NO FF browser windows were open.
That is probably due to the bug that I've been seeing since 1.0.4, where it doesn't properly kill a process when you close all the windows. I've also noticed that some web pages (with flash or java usually) refuse to work until I kill the ghost process.
Old 08-19-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My biggest issue with FF is that it will hang very badly if parts of the page can't be loaded. If IE hits a dead banner ad, it isn't phased in the slightest. Firefox will stop the entire page from loading while waiting for that damn ad to appear.
Old 08-19-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've noticed the FF memory problem too, specifically virtual memory, which just keeps growing and growing. When ever I notice my system acting sluggish I open taskman and find FF using 350+MB of VM.

Anyway, as a work around. Install SessionSaver so you can close FF and restore your tabs every once in a while.
Old 08-19-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir
Anyway, as a work around. Install SessionSaver so you can close FF and restore your tabs every once in a while.
Or just minimize your FF windows...

Edit: If one of your FF processes is hung, that one will be unaffected.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 08-19-05 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-19-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trim on minimize doesn't release VM on my system, just physical memory.
Old 08-19-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Giantrobo,

Look for your old favorites at:
C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*Wierd number*.default
If there are 2 *Wierd number*.default folders your lost favorites should be in one of them. The filename for the is bookmarks.html.

Next time that dll (dymanic link libary) message comes up, tell us what the message is exactly etc....

I currently have 10 tabs open using 100k of mem.

Most problems, not all, with Firefox is caused by incompatible or corrupt themes, plugins or extensions.

As previously stated, SessionSaver .2 could save you from lost sessions (tabs) if a premature FF shutdown occurs

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 08-19-05 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-19-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
Giantrobo,

Look for your old favorites at:
C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*Wierd number*.default
If there are 2 *Wierd number*.default folders your lost favorites should be in one of them. The filename for the is bookmarks.html.

Next time that dll (dymanic link libary) message comes up, tell us what the message is exactly etc....

I currently have 10 tabs open using 100k of mem.

Most problems, not all, with Firefox is caused by incompatible or corrupt themes, plugins or extensions.

As previously stated, SessionSaver .2 could save you from lost sessions (tabs) if a premature FF shutdown occurs

yeah thanks. I've got a Favorites/FF back up you posted in another thread.

I'll check into that session saver.
Old 08-24-05, 07:49 PM

Check out Adblock Plus, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=266291

It blocks all adverts from being displayed, quicker/cleaner display, I would assume less memory is used, but haven't really checked myself.
Old 08-25-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I usually have somewhere between 10-50 tabs/windows open. My FF rarely ventures beyond 100MB, but I do use FlashBlock.
Old 08-25-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had the same sort of memory issues with Firefox which a lot of people have, but my new problem is that the processor usage periodically goes up to 99% and stays there until I exit out of the program. It sometimes happens with just one tab open, sometimes with a dozen.
Old 08-25-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

one of the banner ads here used to do that
I think the one for Hostage
Old 08-25-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

firefox is also letting a lot more popups through now
Old 08-25-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've never noticed and performance issues with Firefox, but it's rare that I have more than 5 tabs open.

As for popups, I have been noticing tribalfusion windows popping up every so often. That's about it.
Old 08-25-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
As for popups, I have been noticing tribalfusion windows popping up every so often. That's about it.
That and Casamedia (or something like that). I was wondering what that was all about....
Old 08-26-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of the biggest pet peeve I had with Firefox is that the cruise control button on my MX700 would stop working after some time I'm using it. I'm not sure whether it's the mouse driver or it's Firefox, but it didn't happen with another program even when its running at the same time.
Old 08-31-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want to limit the size of the cache:

1) Type about:config into the location bar
2) Right click->New->Integer
3) Name it browser.cache.memory.capacity
4) Specify a value (50000, 100000, whatever you want)
5) Restart Firefox

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.