Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

help needed with replacing power adapter

Old 08-18-05, 07:02 PM

help needed with replacing power adapter

my mom just got a new lcd monitor, and after she took everything out of the box but before she could set it up, the dog found the ac/dc adapter and chewed the wire off. I was hoping I could repair it, but it is severed right at the adapter box. Here's the pictures:

what should I be looking for to replace this? Does it have to be the exact same specifications? I was going to go to radio shack tomorrow, but I couldn't find any 19v output adapters on their website. I did find this listing at ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-F1781A-Ultras...QQcmdZViewItem

thanks for any help you can give, my mom was grief-stricken that she didn't even get to plug the monitor in (her old monitor died, so she has none now)
Old 08-18-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gotta love dogs. Our old dog loved to scratch on my computer desk. I had to hide everything dangerous or expensive from him. He passed away last year and I miss him but I don't miss the messes!!!

To the question at hand. Since it is a new monitor I would get the exact specifications. If you can't get it from the manufacturer easily and relatively inexpensively, you can try ebay. I picked up an extra power adapter for my Dell laptop on ebay and it has been great for over a year.

Are you located in the UK since that is where the seller is from? That adapter you linked to on Ebay looks good and the seller has a great record. If you are sure that is exactly what you need then jump on it.

Good luck!

Updated: It looks like that is a laptop adapter? What kind of monitor does she have? Post more info!!! I do think that will work if we can't find a perfect match.

Last edited by cajun_junky; 08-18-05 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-18-05, 07:25 PM

here's the product page: http://www.advueu.com/003/productite...play=spec&img=
Old 08-18-05, 07:32 PM

I just called the support number for the manufacturer and they quoted me $50 + $10 shipping for a replacement adapter, so I'm hoping I can do better than that with an alternate compatible adapter.
Old 08-18-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From the monitor page it said max consumption is 42W (which is well below that of the ebay adapter) and since the rest of the spec's are extremely close I bet it would work fine. The only other question is if your "figure 8" cable fits into their adapter and their output lead fits into your monitor.

If in doubt you could drop the manufacturer an email (or call) and ask about a replacement. You could also ask how close the spec's have to be. Tell them you have a laptop adapter that is close and see if they think that would work.
Old 08-18-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ouch that is damn expensive but not surprising. Dell wanted $75 for their replacement adapter. I got mine off ebay for about $15 plus shipping. That adapter on ebay is starting to look better and better.

If you got through to their support # fairly easily then call back and ask how close the spec's have to be.
Old 08-18-05, 08:17 PM

on the back of the monitor there is a sticker that says "19v, 3a" - and the broken adapter says 3.2a, so does that mean that a 19v/3.16a adapter should work fine? (there are lots of them on ebay)

I would call support again, but they closed ten minutes ago. They did manage to send me the credit card authorization form for the $60 charge, so I wonder if they would be candid about the other option of getting it from somewhere else. It would be great to be able to get something tomorrow, instead of waiting for the whole online ordering process - whether ebay or manufacturer, but I'll have to see if there is another store besides radio shack in the area I'll be tomorrow which has more of a selection.

Last edited by lucasorion; 08-18-05 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-18-05, 09:04 PM

My mom has told me that unless I find something that is certain to work, she wants to get the adapter from the manufacturer. I don't really know how to be SURE that anything is going to work, and whether we could ruin the monitor with a mismatch. I'm not an expert in wattage, voltage, amperage, etc. The only thing I know is to get a 400+ watt power supply for the desktop comps I build.

Last edited by lucasorion; 08-18-05 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-18-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't you open up the box and re attach the wires? The screws are probably underneath the sticker.

Sonic
Old 08-18-05, 11:54 PM

I'll try to crack it open and see - I've patched a power cord for a circular saw before (after running it through the saw), so I think I should be able to do this if there is something to work with inside the box.
Old 08-19-05, 06:19 AM

okay, I think I've got it prepped for patching, just have to pick up some electrical tape today.
Old 08-19-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am surprised there was that much free wire inside the box. That was the only reason I didn't recommend that before because I thought you would have to do some soldering. Based on your picture you should be able to easily patch that. You might want to buy some shrinkwrap tubing to use instead of electrical tape, although tape would be fine.

Good luck!
Old 08-19-05, 07:17 PM

I got it working ok using lots of electrical tape and stuffing it back into the box (the bulk of the electrical tape inside the box kind of assures it won't get tugged apart). I tested with a multimeter first and then plugged it all in. This adventure actually managed to be educational for me, learning a little about electricity. Thanks for the moral support.
Old 08-20-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Electrical tape: about $1
gas to the store to get electrical tape: about $40 (ha ha ha)
pride in fixing something yourself: priceless!!!

awesome that you got it going!!! Be sure to put it behind a desk so the dog can't get to it!!!