Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laser printer recommendation needed

Old 08-18-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Laser printer recommendation needed

I'm looking at buying a Brother HL-5140 printer. Does anyone have experience with this printer or have any suggestions on a good black-and-white laser?

Thanks
Old 08-26-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anybody?
Old 08-26-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've used a Samsung ML-1710 for the last two years and have been totally pleased with it. It is black and white only. After rebates I ended up getting it for about $80 at Best Buy. I just picked up a toner cartridge today for about $80. I believe it's only the second one I've bought for it(it came with a low output cartridge). And we print a lot of stuff since my wife is a teacher. So I've been well pleased with it.
Old 08-26-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by Alvis
I've used a Samsung ML-1710 for the last two years and have been totally pleased with it. It is black and white only. After rebates I ended up getting it for about $80 at Best Buy. I just picked up a toner cartridge today for about $80. I believe it's only the second one I've bought for it(it came with a low output cartridge). And we print a lot of stuff since my wife is a teacher. So I've been well pleased with it.
I'll second that. The current model is the ML-1740, virtually identical to the 1710. I have a 1710 and a 1740 at work and both have been great. I picked up a 1740 for myself when I was able to get it for $50 after rebates from buy.com. I looked it up at buy.com and it's still listed for that price although it's "temporarily sold out."

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...01&hdwt=0&sp=1
Old 08-27-05, 06:18 AM
Stealth Moderator

My ex-roommate has that Brother laser printer. He loves its fast print speed and clear, crisp output. The downside: noise & heat. It's on the loud side (even among laser printers) and the heat pertains to the paper curling more than the average due to the heat it experiences (not the heat being generated by the printer).
Old 09-01-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by namja
My ex-roommate has that Brother laser printer. He loves its fast print speed and clear, crisp output. The downside: noise & heat. It's on the loud side (even among laser printers) and the heat pertains to the paper curling more than the average due to the heat it experiences (not the heat being generated by the printer).
How much does the paper curl? Does it lead to jams?
Old 09-01-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by feenst
I'm looking at buying a Brother HL-5140 printer. Does anyone have experience with this printer or have any suggestions on a good black-and-white laser?

Thanks
I have used ALOT of different HP laser printers and we also have a Lexmark 320. The HP printers have always been awesome but they are pricey in comparison. The Lexmark was considerably cheaper and text looks fine. Grayscale on the Lexmark is not bad but the HP blows it away. As far as brother printers I just can't comment since I have not personally used one.
Old 09-02-05, 10:50 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by feenst
How much does the paper curl? Does it lead to jams?
No jams.

Say you print 30 pages. It'll print in like 5 seconds (grossly exaggerated). You lay the paper on your desk. It'll look like this: