Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Additional power outputs from power supply?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-18-05, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a 400W PSU in my comp, but it doesn't have enough power outputs to power everything i have (2 optical drives, 2 hdds). is there some type of splitter i could use for additional outputs? I looked on newegg for a new PSU but they don't list how many outputs they have.
Old 08-18-05, 01:36 AM

You can just buy a y molex connector, can be found at your local computer store, with a 400w PSU you should be able to add at least 2 more hd's
Old 08-18-05, 01:43 AM

is there a way to tell how many outputs a particular PSU has? I want to upgrade that as well, and might as well kill 2 birds/1 stone.
Old 08-18-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

most decent power supplies will have more connectors than you'll know what to do with these days. not having enough for 2 hard drives and 2 opticals tells me it's probably lower end. and the psu is not something you want to skimp on.

this site:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

will give you a ballpark figure of your current needs by adding up how many watts you are currently using.

once you know how many watts you'll need, find some in your price range and then google reviews of those particular power supplies.

i ended up with a coolermaster 450 that has 2 12 volt rails, 1 120 mm fan that is nice and quiet yet moves the air very nicely, tons of standard molex connectors and even special connectors for sata drives and one for some of the new video cards that require extra power.
Old 08-18-05, 11:53 AM
Banned

Newegg throws in a Y splitter with just about every order, it seems like. They're cheap, you can get them lots of places.

If you only need to add one splitter, you're probably fine. If you need to add two or more, you may not have the necessary power coming out of that thing. Invest in a new PSU. Higher wattage generally means more connections on the thing.

I recently built a new machine and got a 680W ThermalTake PSU. Very shiny, and with more connectors than I would have thought actually possible. Something like 10 standard drive connection plugs, mobo connectors, two connectors for PCIE graphics cards, several SATA connectors, etc. Very, very nice PSU. Excellent if you want to do SLI video cards.
Old 08-19-05, 12:22 AM

gonna pick up this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153006
to help power this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148065
Old 08-19-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That thermaltake looks like a good choice. 420W with plenty of connectors from a reputable manufacturer.