Reload this Page >

What the heck is a .pif file?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-17-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While running my anti-virus software I noticed it was scanning some .pif files. One was called "Me drunk at my wedding.pif". Now I don't know what the heck that is, or where it came from. But when I do a file search for it nothing is found. I noticed that the virus scanning software took a long time to get through these files so they must be large. How the heck do I get rid of them?
Old 08-17-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

.pif extension

Don't open/click on them. Just by the title of the file, I would think it is bad, ie virus, trojan etc....

You may need to enable to show all files and folder in Windows Explorer to view the files. I think that file type is hidden, by default, in the old days
Old 08-17-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This may help. Then again it may not.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PIF_file.html

Short for Program InFormation file, a type of file that holds information about how Windows should run a non-Windows application. For example, a PIF file can contain instructions for executing a DOS application in the Windows environment. These instructions can include the amount of memory to use, the path to the executable file, and what type of window to use. PIF files have a .pif extension .

http://www.mess.be/msnmessengerfaq/i...Messenger.html

A whole breed of viruses (worms named Bropia, Kelvir, Serflog and Crog among other names) is trying to propagate through MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger by automatically initiating file transfers from infected users to possible future victims. A few are SCR-files but most files have a PIF extension (Program Information File). That's a data file in Windows 3.x and NT that stores window settings for DOS applications (In Windows 9x, 2000 and XP, PIF was replaced by the Properties attributes about the file).

Depending on your system configuration and file associations, the transfer shows the classic MS-DOS windows icon (pictured to the right) or an unknown file icon (screenshot below). The PIF extension doesn't always show in the MSN Messenger file transfer dialog, as you can see in the screenshot.

If you receive a file transfer request for such a file, press ALT-D or click Decline. Don't ever execute the file. If you did, delete the file immediately and permanently from your system (My Received Files and C drive) and take necessary security measures starting with an update of the virus definitions of your antivirus software and performing a full scan/clean. Symantec offers a free W32.Bropia Removal Tool which you can download here, but it's designed only to remove a limited number of Bropia variants. The same company has also released the W32.Kelvir Removal Tool (get it here) which removes the infections of W32.Kelvir.D, R, S, T and W.

Here are some examples of filenames that are being used by the MSN Messenger worms. Avoid at all cost:

Crazy frog gets killed by train!.pif
Annoying crazy frog getting killed.pif
See my lesbian friends.pif
LOL that ur pic!.pif
My new photo!.pif
Me on holiday!.pif
The Cat And The Fan piccy.pif
How a Blonde Eats a Banana...pif
Mona Lisa Wants Her Smile Back.pif
Topless in Mini Skirt! lol.pif
Fat Elvis! lol.pif
Jennifer Lopez.scr
sexy_bedroom.pif
drunk_lol.pif
naked_party.pif
webcam_(random number).pif
love_me.pif
hahahaha.pif
LOL.scr
Webcam.pif
me_2005.pif
sister.pif
Bedroom-thongs.pif
Hot.pif
LMAO.pif
LOL.scr
Naked_drunk.pif
New_webcam.pif
ROFL.pif
underware.pif
Webcam.pif
Old 08-18-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to thank you both for your responses. Mopower, I have all of those pif files - unopened- thank God. I'm using the recomended tools to get rid of them. I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 08-19-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I've run all of the available programs to rid the .pif files, but none of them seem to recognize or find them. My NoAdware program seems to find/scan them, but doesn't get rid of them. I supose they are harmless as long as they are not launched. And if I can't find them, I can't launch them.
Old 08-19-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by parrotheads4
Well, I've run all of the available programs to rid the .pif files, but none of them seem to recognize or find them. My NoAdware program seems to find/scan them, but doesn't get rid of them. I supose they are harmless as long as they are not launched. And if I can't find them, I can't launch them.

Check in the "My Received Files" folder and C drive in Windows Explorer as the article states.
The Path to the received files folder should be:
C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\My Documents\My Received Files

If you are using XP, don't use the Search>for Files and Folders function. It has a tendency to not find certain file types.

Make sure you have Windows Explorer enabled to Show all Files and Folders. They can be "hidden"

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 08-19-05 at 08:31 PM.