Reload this Page >

Difference between 16x and 8x dvd-rs?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-16-05, 05:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the difference? is it a slower speed. My dvd burner will burn disc up to 16x.
Old 08-16-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maximum Speed Rate for the media. Since your Burner is capable of 16X, you can use blank media rated up to 16x. I tend to burn at slower rates that my burner is capable of....

FYI-The "X" means 150kb/second. Therefore 16 x 150=2400/kb /seconds burn rate, roughly
Old 08-16-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Or you can hack your firmware and burn 8x media at 16x speed.
Old 08-16-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigPete
Or you can hack your firmware and burn 8x media at 16x speed.
Eh, I can wait the extra 4 min.
Old 08-16-05, 09:27 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
16x burning speed doesn't burn anywhere near twice as fast as 8x. The drive speeds up as it burns the disc and very little burns at full speed.
Old 08-17-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
I tend to burn at slower rates that my burner is capable of....
What is the benefit of doing that? Does it prevent errors?
Old 08-17-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I the only one not that concerned with speed? And yes, I have slowed things down to try and reduce errors (don't know if the perceived improvement is just anecdotal).

Normally it's like...

Several hours of encoding, 6 minutes of burning.
Old 08-17-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by yashan
What is the benefit of doing that? Does it prevent errors?
Maybe on slower machines, but with DVD-Video's I like to be a little safer than have a coaster. Maybe a paranoia. Waiting a couple of extra minutes doesn't bother me. I have some good media Dynex (RITEK...R03.8) and had a few coasters in the first bundle. Sometimes, the burn would fail at ~24% into the burn process.Sometimes durning the lead-in it would fail. I could re-use the same disk later on(lead-in failure) and it would burn. That trusty "Power Calibration" error would be the culprit. I finally have reliable burns after some trial and error. Brand new NEC ND-3520A.
Old 08-17-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
Maybe on slower machines, but with DVD-Video's I like to be a little safer than have a coaster. Maybe a paranoia. Waiting a couple of extra minutes doesn't bother me. I have some good media Dynex (RITEK...R03.8) and had a few coasters in the first bundle. Sometimes, the burn would fail at ~24% into the burn process.Sometimes durning the lead-in it would fail. I could re-use the same disk later on(lead-in failure) and it would burn. That trusty "Power Calibration" error would be the culprit. I finally have reliable burns after some trial and error. Brand new NEC ND-3520A.

So, say you burn at 4x. Do you buy only 4x media or discs rates with higher burn speed capablities? Does that make a difference too? I suppose the 4x only media would be cheaper but perhaps it is also older? Thanks for the information.
Old 08-18-05, 01:36 AM

is it just me or do you never get coasters. of the hundreds of dvd-rs i've burned i've had one fail due to a system lock up. always burn them at 8x (full speed) while multitasking and never a problem. same with cd-rs.
Old 08-18-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sureAV421
is it just me or do you never get coasters. of the hundreds of dvd-rs i've burned i've had one fail due to a system lock up. always burn them at 8x (full speed) while multitasking and never a problem. same with cd-rs.
You must use good media, have a good burner and a solid DVD player.

Last year, I had a very good Pioneer burner and a brand new compatible DVD player and experienced endless problems with cheap media. I honestly had about an 80-90% coaster rate. Since deciding to spend a few bucks and get Taiyo Yuden -Rs, I've had one or two bads out of maybe 100 burned discs.

Burning DVDs seems to be a fairly immature process at this point. You still need to do some trial and error to get everything to work properly.