DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Difference between 16x and 8x dvd-rs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/434425-difference-between-16x-8x-dvd-rs.html)

feral125 08-16-05 05:22 PM

Difference between 16x and 8x dvd-rs?

What is the difference? is it a slower speed. My dvd burner will burn disc up to 16x.

68ShelbyGT500KR 08-16-05 05:30 PM

Maximum Speed Rate for the media. Since your Burner is capable of 16X, you can use blank media rated up to 16x. I tend to burn at slower rates that my burner is capable of....

FYI-The "X" means 150kb/second. Therefore 16 x 150=2400/kb /seconds burn rate, roughly

BigPete 08-16-05 08:04 PM

Or you can hack your firmware and burn 8x media at 16x speed.

Mopower 08-16-05 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by BigPete
Or you can hack your firmware and burn 8x media at 16x speed.

Eh, I can wait the extra 4 min.

X 08-16-05 09:27 PM

16x burning speed doesn't burn anywhere near twice as fast as 8x. The drive speeds up as it burns the disc and very little burns at full speed.

yashan 08-17-05 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
I tend to burn at slower rates that my burner is capable of....

What is the benefit of doing that? Does it prevent errors?

Y2K Falcon 08-17-05 12:01 PM

Am I the only one not that concerned with speed? And yes, I have slowed things down to try and reduce errors (don't know if the perceived improvement is just anecdotal).

Normally it's like...

Several hours of encoding, 6 minutes of burning.

68ShelbyGT500KR 08-17-05 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by yashan
What is the benefit of doing that? Does it prevent errors?

Maybe on slower machines, but with DVD-Video's I like to be a little safer than have a coaster. Maybe a paranoia. Waiting a couple of extra minutes doesn't bother me. I have some good media Dynex (RITEK...R03.8) and had a few coasters in the first bundle. Sometimes, the burn would fail at ~24% into the burn process.Sometimes durning the lead-in it would fail. I could re-use the same disk later on(lead-in failure) and it would burn. That trusty "Power Calibration" error would be the culprit. I finally have reliable burns after some trial and error. Brand new NEC ND-3520A.

yashan 08-17-05 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
Maybe on slower machines, but with DVD-Video's I like to be a little safer than have a coaster. Maybe a paranoia. Waiting a couple of extra minutes doesn't bother me. I have some good media Dynex (RITEK...R03.8) and had a few coasters in the first bundle. Sometimes, the burn would fail at ~24% into the burn process.Sometimes durning the lead-in it would fail. I could re-use the same disk later on(lead-in failure) and it would burn. That trusty "Power Calibration" error would be the culprit. I finally have reliable burns after some trial and error. Brand new NEC ND-3520A.

So, say you burn at 4x. Do you buy only 4x media or discs rates with higher burn speed capablities? Does that make a difference too? I suppose the 4x only media would be cheaper but perhaps it is also older? Thanks for the information. :)

sureAV421 08-18-05 01:36 AM

is it just me or do you never get coasters. of the hundreds of dvd-rs i've burned i've had one fail due to a system lock up. always burn them at 8x (full speed) while multitasking and never a problem. same with cd-rs.

Hiro11 08-18-05 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by sureAV421
is it just me or do you never get coasters. of the hundreds of dvd-rs i've burned i've had one fail due to a system lock up. always burn them at 8x (full speed) while multitasking and never a problem. same with cd-rs.

You must use good media, have a good burner and a solid DVD player.

Last year, I had a very good Pioneer burner and a brand new compatible DVD player and experienced endless problems with cheap media. I honestly had about an 80-90% coaster rate. Since deciding to spend a few bucks and get Taiyo Yuden -Rs, I've had one or two bads out of maybe 100 burned discs.

Burning DVDs seems to be a fairly immature process at this point. You still need to do some trial and error to get everything to work properly.