Reload this Page >

General computer/ram/modem questions.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-15-05, 04:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a computer situation I was hoping someone might help me with, before I have to look into paying someone to fix something that might be easily done on my own.

I have a Dell 4300, that I purchased in 2002 and never got around to making it internet available, up until about 3 weeks ago. Previously, it had just been used for computer games, research papers, and iTunes.

About 3 weeks ago, I connected it to the net, without using my ISP software or anything, just created a new Network Connection, with the proper information. It connected great, was dependable dial-up, and didn't drop the connection more than once a day, abouts.

Then, about a week and a half ago, I added a 2nd harddrive (because iTunes was taking over 90% of my diskspace), and a CD burner to it. I noticed after doing this, that it was getting a little slow. Connecting was getting harder, and I was getting a lot of error messages when I'd try and dial-up. The messages would say that the remote computer didn't respond, a connection couldn't be established, etc. When it would connect, instead of connecting at 49.2 speed, it was more like 21.9-4.2 speeds. And it now crashed like every 5 minutes, and took 5-6 tries to re-connect properly, again at the slower speeds. Also, when clicking "Internet Explorer" to open a window from the desktop, it took on average 5-10 seconds for even the blank page to open up, to begin loading my home site.

A friend of mine told me that I needed more RAM on the computer. I looked however, and it said I had 256 measurements RAM, and the minimum needed was 64 measurements.

I know that it's not my ISP being slow service, because the other household computer connects and functions normally, even when the Dell won't.

Here's some information, incase it helps.

On my C: Drive, it has 18GB of space, and 9.25GB are free space.

On my E: Drive, the secondary harddrive, it has 127GB, with 121GB being free space. It holds 1900 iTunes songs, and The Sims computer game, with 6-7 expansion packs.

The CD Burner recently installed is a Sony 52x/32x/52x.

I have defragged, and ran tests for spyware and viruses. All came back clean, but the performance was not improved. I cleaned my temporary internet files, offline content, and nothing improved afterward either.

Does this sound like a modem issue, or a ram issue, or neither? The connections were working fine until the CD burner was installed, and the man who installed it, suggested adding more RAM.

Knowing little about computers, other than how to fix the small and general problems on them, I don't know much about RAM, so I didn't know if this was something what would be fixed by adding a stick, or if it was something else.

If anyone could offer their advice, or point me in the direction of a person, site, or forum, who could help me out, I'd appreciate it. I'd really hate to take it to Best Buy or similar, if it was something as simple as popping in a stick of RAM.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by l_xtopher_l; 08-15-05 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think adding RAM would fix any problem with modem speed or reliability, especially when it worked fine until recently.