Reload this Page >

Stupid gmail question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Stupid gmail question

Old 08-12-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid gmail question

So how do I set up a contact so that it goes to two different e-mail addresses? Like if I want my contact for Joe Smith to be both [email protected] and [email protected]

Bonus question -- if I have Joe Smith and Jim Smith as contacts, can I set up a Smith Brothers contact that sends an e-mail to both Joe and Jim? I assume it's the same as the answer to my first question, but maybe nesting the contacts would screw it up.
Old 08-13-05, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

man whoever has AOLHELL tell them to run run fast little buddy!
Old 08-13-05, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No really here you go, where the red box is click and enter!

Old 08-14-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool! Thanks!
Old 08-15-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are no stupid gmail question, just stupid people with gmail. Take me for example.
Old 06-25-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Stupid gmail question

So I have a stupid gmail question.
I don't use the tabs. Spam goes into Spam, I want to see and decide everything else.
I try to FAD as quickly as possible (File, Act, Delete).
I have 4 "Categories" - Social, Updates, Forums, and Promotions.
Social has over 6000 items in it. Some of them appear to be in various folders, kept for various reasons.
Others, like Meetup notices from 2012, I'm sure I deleted.

Why is gmail keeping them? I deleted them. Go away. My gmail is 2.74 GB and while some of that is pictures and files, I have to assume some are these silly things. I don't "label" things, I file them. I have never and will never use Categories, and I sure don't need a view of a Meetup event invite I got five years ago and didn't go to.

How do I get rid of these Categories, and get rid of the emails within them, unless I've got it filed?
Under Settings -> Labels -> Categories, each of these already shows "Hide".

I know I'm old fashioned - I spent too long with Outlook to be used to this threaded, keep-everything-in-one-place label/category stuff. I don't have all my paperwork on my desk, it's in a filing cabinet. I don't want all my email in one place, I want them in folders. [/curmudgeon]
Old 06-26-18, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure you've been pressing the Delete button, and not the Archive button?

Or, if you're using a phone/tablet app, the swipe behavior does Archive, not Delete.

Regarding Categories, do you have "Hide" selected for everything under Categories (including Categories itself), under both "label list" and "message list"?
Old 06-26-18, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Delete not Archive - Yep. On my phone if I accidentally hit Archive it asks me to confirm (I also don't understand the purpose of Archive but that's another story).
Swipe - I always hit the icon or 'delete'
Hide - Yep. Everything shows "hide" is selected. "Show" is the clickable one. (Under Gear - Settings - Labels - Categories section)
Old 06-26-18, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always start with large attachments.

Search for:
larger_than:5m
larger_than:10m etc

Full list of search operators:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7190?hl=en

Use combinations too.
Old 06-26-18, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got rid of about .4GB of large emails. I had done that once before, I'll browse the link of advanced stuff for more tools.
It just doesn't make sense - why is Gmail holding on to multiple thousands of emails that I deleted years ago?
Old 06-26-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 View Post
It just doesn't make sense - why is Gmail holding on to multiple thousands of emails that I deleted years ago?
If you press Delete, then the mail goes into the Trash, which is then automatically deleted after 30 days.

If the mails are still showing up in your account under All Mail (but not Inbox or other labels), then it's been Archived instead of Deleted.
Old 06-26-18, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's no way I've 'archived' 8000 messages. Some of the emails showing up in "Categories" also have a label where I've filed them. Emails still in my inbox are showing in these Categories.

If I did archive them, I don't suppose there's a way to un-archive everything at once? I don't even understand the purpose of 'archiving'.

When I go into one of these messages, it still gives me the option to "Archive". Of course I just Archived one, found it again, and it still gave me the option to Archive, so maybe that's not definitive.

I turned on Promotions, turned it off again, and now there's 15 emails that are in my inbox or already filed showing in this category.

So I just found my "All Mail" box. I have 27,000 messages in there. My "Inbox" has 100. WTF? This seems ridiculous and inefficient. I know we're just data to Google but come on. Why would i ever want one big-ass box with everything ever in it?
Old 06-26-18, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you ever used IMAP to access your gmail (for example, by using an IMAP-based mail app on your smartphone), and you never changed the default gmail settings, then when you "deleted" the emails via the IMAP client, they only got archived in gmail, not moved to trash. Gmail's default settings for IMAP are to archive the message in gmail when it is deleted and expunged via IMAP. That setting can be changed to have the message moved to the Trash folder though.
Old 06-26-18, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I had just googled something similar to what you're saying.
I do definitely use IMAP - I check email on my phone, tablet, etc.
I know I changed some settings but apparently I missed one.
Here's what I found as to a workaround/fix:
https://christineotten.com/bulk-dele...il-from-gmail/

Still seems stupid - if I DELETE I mean DELETE, not Delete from my phone and store on the web without telling me so I don't know it's there but it takes up my space.

I'm going through the second part of that link's instructions now and we'll see what happens when I next delete mail from my phone.

Thanks for all the input!

Of course, there's still a bunch of emails in those stupid "Categories", but it's 2000, not 14000. (my earlier number was the number of unread).

So while trying to fix one problem, I encountered another and resolved the new one.

I just deleted three emails from my phone, refreshed webmail, and those three are in my Trash. So that's good.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 06-26-18 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-26-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I had just googled something similar to what you're saying.
I do definitely use IMAP - I check email on my phone, tablet, etc.
I know I changed some settings but apparently I missed one.
Here's what I found as to a workaround/fix:
https://christineotten.com/bulk-dele...il-from-gmail/

Still seems stupid - if I DELETE I mean DELETE, not Delete from my phone and store on the web without telling me so I don't know it's there but it takes up my space.
If you use IMAP and from here on out you want deleting from your email client to truly delete the messages in gmail, then you need to go into the web interface for your gmail and navigate to:
Settings->Forwarding and POP/IMAP->IMAP Access and change the "When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:" setting to "Immediately delete the message forever"

That won't delete things that are already archived, but in the future if you delete them from your IMAP client they will be truly deleted for good from gmail. If you want to be a little more conservative, you can change that setting to: "Move the message to the Trash". That will give you 30 days to undo an accidental delete.
Old 06-26-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool thanks! I set it to "move the message to the trash", I don't mind them sitting there for 30 days. And I do sometimes accidentally delete stuff.
Old 06-27-18, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool thanks! I set it to "move the message to the trash", I don't mind them sitting there for 30 days. And I do sometimes accidentally delete stuff.
glad to help!
Old 07-28-18, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I need some Gmail help.

About a month ago for some weird reason, e-mails from my scheduler at work keep getting sent to the "Promotions" folder in my email. That's a really dangerous place for it to go as I delete a lot of those and I'm afraid of accidentally deleting my schedule from work by mistake.

How do I fix this?
Old 07-28-18, 12:59 AM

I don't use the Categories, all of mine go to one Inbox. But there should be a "Not Promotions" button if you open the email.
I think it is near the same area as the "Archive" button.
I'm not sure if that will get them going forward, or it just takes care of that email.
Old 07-28-18, 01:02 AM

Oh, it looks like you can drag the email from the Promotions view to the Primary tab. It will then ask you "Do this for future messages from ..."
Old 08-21-18, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My gmail account got "upgraded" to the new look and now I can't sort emails by sender. Anyone know how I can do that?
Old 08-23-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
My gmail account got "upgraded" to the new look and now I can't sort emails by sender. Anyone know how I can do that?
Why would you want to sort by sender? Just search for a sender, like "from:[email protected]" .
Old 08-24-18, 12:07 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As Jay G. said, I don't need to do that, but just curious, how do you sort by sender?

BTW, if you go to Settings, you can revert back to "Classic" gmail, at least for now.
Old 08-24-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
As Jay G. said, I don't need to do that, but just curious, how do you sort by sender?
These were all the suggestions I could find, although technically they're all searches/filters by a given sender, not a "sort".
https://productforums.google.com/for...o/RfwKE3w8DwAJ
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/gmail-...ys-sort-inbox/
https://www.geekdashboard.com/how-to...ct-and-labels/
Old 08-25-18, 11:53 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
These were all the suggestions I could find, although technically they're all searches/filters by a given sender, not a "sort".
https://productforums.google.com/for...o/RfwKE3w8DwAJ
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/gmail-...ys-sort-inbox/
https://www.geekdashboard.com/how-to...ct-and-labels/
Thanks. I use the search-by-sender feature a lot but never had to sort (the way Microsoft Outlook does). I can see wanting to do either at different times.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.