Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

In the market for a notebook

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-12-05, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been without a desktop computer for awhile now, and my sister has been back home for a week with her laptop. Being on it, has made me realize how much I'd like one for myself. Gaming isn't really a huge concern, I have consoles for that, and I do plan on building a PC in the near future.

Anyway, are there any notebooks that any of you could reccomend for around the 2k range?

Right now, I'm leaning towards a 14" iBook, but I'm open to anything. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Old 08-12-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For $2,000 you could get a heck of a Dell. I will be buying a new notebook for work (once our departmental paperwork is finished) and have been looking for the best bang for the buck. I currently have a Dell Inspiron 8200 which is showing its age but must say this thing has been a dream in both reliability, stability, and durability. The screen is still flawless and bright after 3 years and nothing has failed on it. This is not to say other brands are crap...I am just sharing my experience.

Is there a reason you are considering a iBook? I have nothing against apple/mac computers but there is not as much software available and the price is often a little more (not to mention the vast amount of freeware for the PC).

What exactly do you plan on doing with the notebook? Knowing what you will be doing will help me and others tailor our suggestions.
Old 08-13-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In my professional opinion (Information Technology) being serious which is something I don't do often I would recommend an Avertec or Acer, Asus also sells laptops. Another would be HP. I would STAY AWAY from DELL, or eMachines, and Sony as well. There are a few things to look for when buying though. Make sure you DO NOT get an Intel Celeron, or Celeron M, and if getting an AMD chip you DO NOT get a Sempron. You want either a Pentium 4M or AMD 64. If you have the money this laptop hits a sweet spot for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115154
Old 08-14-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figured I would share my Dell experience since I bought an Inspiron6000 this year. I ran into a problem where I kept getting the blue screen of death. Called tech support and they told me after doing 100 useless things that the hard drive was dead. Sent me a new hard drive, still wasn't working. More and more tech support, and I ended up having to send it in to be fixed.

Service and return was actually quite fast, and it ended up being a bad mobo or memory stick, I forget which. Replaced and sent back, and it is working fine now. However dealing with tech support was horrendous. Forget about calling them because you will NEVER get through. I actually have a desktop so I chatted with them on there. They are frustratingly slow, but the problem eventually got solved so I can't complain TOO much.

Otherwise it seems to work fine, and I like the screen. I'm just hoping I don't run into anymore problems where I have to call those bums.
Old 08-14-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got an Inspiron 6000 a while ago and it's great so I can't complain.
Old 08-14-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love my Dell 9300. It's a beautiful thing to play any game with the graphics settings on high. Not only for gaming, the 1920x1200 17" screen works wonders with Photoshop and Office docs.
Old 08-14-05, 11:55 PM
Mod Emeritus

Dell's are great bargains with the right coupon, but it helps to know a lot about computers if you own one, since yeah, their tech support is all Indian based and porous. If you are worried about it working though, I'd do some research on who isn't Indian based since I imagine quite a few of them are.
Old 08-15-05, 11:26 AM

Just thought I'd chime back in. After talking to a few friends, reading reviews and going around to other message board I frequent, I've decided on this notebook.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834146044

It's an IBM T43. Might be a little pricey for what it is, but I'm paying for it's rock hard reliability, and it comes with a 3 year Warranty.
Old 08-15-05, 01:19 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Miyazaki
Just thought I'd chime back in. After talking to a few friends, reading reviews and going around to other message board I frequent, I've decided on this notebook.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834146044

It's an IBM T43. Might be a little pricey for what it is, but I'm paying for it's rock hard reliability, and it comes with a 3 year Warranty.
Yeah that's a little spendy. For the same price, I got 1.7M, 2GB of Ram, 17 Inch widescreen WUXGA, DVDR/RW+-, 6800GO video card, 100GB HDD Dell 9300. Think Pad's must be built like tanks. Congrats on your purchase!
Old 08-15-05, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Yeah that's a little spendy. For the same price, I got 1.7M, 2GB of Ram, 17 Inch widescreen WUXGA, DVDR/RW+-, 6800GO video card, 100GB HDD Dell 9300. Think Pad's must be built like tanks. Congrats on your purchase!
Well, from what I've been reading, they are. They are built to last. I don't really need a huge screen, I can upgrade the ram cheaply and easily, and as far as a large harddrive, it isn't really a big concern either. I may get an external harddrive down the line.
Old 08-15-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may get an external harddrive down the line.
That is what I did. I have a 30G in my notebook. I bought a 160G Western digital a couple of months ago for $29 and a 3.5" USB2.0 HD enclsoure for $20. It was the perfect upgrade and considerably cheaper as well.
Old 08-16-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, from what I've been reading, they are. They are built to last. I don't really need a huge screen, I can upgrade the ram cheaply and easily, and as far as a large harddrive, it isn't really a big concern either. I may get an external harddrive down the line.
Keep in mind that IBM sold off it's laptop division (iirc) to a Chinese tech company, Lenovo, maybe 6-8 months back or so. If you have a pre-Lenovo unit then i'd breathe easier ... if you have a post-Lenovo unit then all bets are off until the stats are in.

For the record, I have an old IBM laptop that's still running strong. It's black, unsexy and relatively heavy and sells for a bit of a price premium compared to the competition ... but it's built like a brickshithouse and reliable and I would consider buying another IBM .... maybe. Some of those Dell deals are hard to pass up though. Especially with the crazy 750 off 1499 coupons.
Old 08-17-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bill_n_opus
Keep in mind that IBM sold off it's laptop division (iirc) to a Chinese tech company, Lenovo, maybe 6-8 months back or so. If you have a pre-Lenovo unit then i'd breathe easier ... if you have a post-Lenovo unit then all bets are off until the stats are in.
Yeah, but don't they still use IBM parts inside the laptops or have they replaced all the innards with cheaper components? I can't imagine that would be good for business or the "ThinkPad" name.

A couple ThinkPads I was looking into before school started:

http://www-131.ibm.com/content/home/...notebooks.html
Old 08-17-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by yashan
Yeah, but don't they still use IBM parts inside the laptops or have they replaced all the innards with cheaper components? I can't imagine that would be good for business or the "ThinkPad" name.

A couple ThinkPads I was looking into before school started:

http://www-131.ibm.com/content/home/...notebooks.html

Can't confirm either way ... however, all things considered, until one knows for sure i'd assume the worst (ie: cup half empty) rather than the best.