Reload this Page >

My laptop is overheating

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

My laptop is overheating

Old 08-12-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My laptop is overheating

or at least I think that's what's happening. It's a POS Dell and the bottom gets crazy hot. Lately the machine just goes "PEW!" and shuts down. I'm sure it's from overheating, since the fan is on the bottom and gets no circulation. I'm trying to prop the laptop up so air can flow along the bottom better.

Anyone have this problem with Dells?
Old 08-12-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe try a Coolpad.
Old 08-12-05, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
or at least I think that's what's happening. It's a POS Dell and the bottom gets crazy hot. Lately the machine just goes "PEW!" and shuts down. I'm sure it's from overheating, since the fan is on the bottom and gets no circulation. I'm trying to prop the laptop up so air can flow along the bottom better.

I have a 5160 Dell that I play games on all the time. I've read they do get pretty warm so I got one of theseTargus Notebook Chill Mat and did a before and after test which resulted in a 10 degree cooler running temp. Plugs into an open USB port.

I've seen them for as low as $19.95.
Old 08-12-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the cpu fan may have died if it has one some just have a heat pipe, or the thermal pad is all but dried up. take it apart and check it out, if nothing else put some arctic silver 5 on the cpu cooler if it isn't dead.
Old 08-12-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the advice. I will look into those options. Right now I've got it propped up on some DVD cases, naturally.
Old 08-13-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz

Welcome to the wonderful world of Dell laptops. The pieces of shit that they are. I have a 5150 that is a paper weight because it does the exact same thing yours does and Dell wants $500 to fix it. I'm sure in a few weeks those once in a while shut downs will turn into the laptop not being able to turn on at all. That's what happened to the one I have. Good Luck.
Old 08-13-05, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i've fixed around 4 or 5 of these with the heat problems, two things were always happening, the cpu fan is dead and they use the cheapest of cheap thermal tape and it is all but no more. dell does want a big $$$ to fix them because all they do is replace your motherboard which has the cpu cooler attached already. very very sad dell is.
Old 08-13-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Matt34
I have a 5160 Dell that I play games on all the time. I've read they do get pretty warm so I got one of theseTargus Notebook Chill Mat and did a before and after test which resulted in a 10 degree cooler running temp. Plugs into an open USB port.

I've seen them for as low as $19.95.
The chill mat works well for me, but I have an HP.