Reload this Page >

I need a tripod for my Digital Camcorder

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-12-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Sony Digital8 Camcorder, and I've been slowly buying stuff for the purpose of shooting video and editing it (firewire cable and software).

I do however, need a tripod, but I wanted to know (at the risk of sounding stupid) if tripods are universal with camcorders? In other words, do all tripods work for all camcorders?

Would the tripods at newegg.com work for my camcorder (even though they are listed under digital camera accessories and not camcorder accessories)?
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...ubCategory=392
Old 08-12-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as the tripod head supports the weight of the camcorder, you're good. Just make sure you get a 3 way head for you to move the camcorder around.
Old 08-12-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

k, thank you sir.
Old 08-16-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And you probably should be looking at computer peripheral websites for a good tripod. How much are you willing to spend? You wouldn't think it as a tripod is a rather simple device but it is VERY expensive to get a good stable tripod.

try www.bhphotovideo.com to browse, or look into a camcorder forum for some personal testimonies.
Old 08-16-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can get a good tripod from $110 - $200. Bogen/Manfrotto is a very good brand for amateurs and even pros. The Bogen 728B is a good start, sturdy and light enough. If you're willing to pay more, checkout the Bogen 3001. If you need more height and willing to pay more again, get the Bogen 3021. This is the tripod I have for my photography and many professional uses it. This sucker is sturdy as hell but also heavy too -- 6lb with the head. Even though I have a paid $800 for a Gitzo 1128 tripod with a Arcatech ballhead, I still go with the Bogen 3021 for the sturdiness and if weight is not an issue.