Reload this Page >

Java problems - IE6 and Firefox

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-12-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure where to begin... I'm running WinXP and I'm trying to get Java to work in either IE6 or Firefox.

I tried to set up my computer for the ESPN Fantasy Football Live Draft for the league I'm in. There is a page to test your computer from which you can install Java. I went through the steps and everything seemed fine. I was able to access the site and so forth. I rebooted my computer at some point and ever since I haven't been able to even access the ESPN FF pages. I thought their website was down. I kept getting a DNS error.

After a while, I tried to navigate to and through the site using Firefox. I was able to access it and view all the pages. When I tried to test to see if Java was installed so I could use Firefox, it ran through its test and then automatically opened an IE6 page saying the test/install was successful. However, it still isn't with either browser.

I tried setting the Java console to accept Firefox but it won't let me. I've tried resetting all my privacy settings. I checked my hosts file to see if something there had changed. I purged my DNS entries. I reinstalled both browsers, making sure I was running the most current versions. I reinstalled Java. I uninstalled the most recent version and tried a previous version. I did a system restore to a point before all of this. Nothing is working.

I've been going in circles for hours. I've probably forgotten critical info here and if so, I apologize. But if anybody has any tips, tricks, info, suggestions... I'm all ears. Thanks.
Old 08-12-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What version of Java are you using? Have you tried to download Sun Java 1.4.2.08 directly from Sun and install it? I find 1.4.2 more reliable than the newer versions.
Old 08-12-05, 03:19 PM

I would concur with zuffy. Java 5 only came out recently, and certain sites get wonky with it.

Go to Add/Remove programs and complete uninstall any instances of Java you have.

Then, go to this link:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

And download from the link for the "JRE".
Old 08-12-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried uninstalling the latest version and I downloaded 1.4.1 and installed it to the same effect. I suppose it can't hurt to try this version as well. Thanks for the tip.

The part that's throwing me is not being able to even access the pages and getting the DNS error. I can understand the pages, or parts of the pages to not be working because of Java. But a DNS error? Does that make sense?

Last edited by CrashMan; 08-12-05 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-13-05, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As luck would have it, I installed 1.4.2 and now some of the pages work with Firefox. Still no luck with IE6.
Old 08-15-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would try removing all the JRE's you have installed, and then remove your browsers too. After that re-install your browsers and re-install only the 1.4.2 JRE and that should be okay. There is something wrong with the JRE support for Mozilla though. It doesn't seem to handle applet memory too well and may crash (in Win2k and XP) after a while depending on what you're doing. I have not had any crash problems with the 1.4.2 JRE on IE6, but even so, I still prefer to use Firefox. I don't use a lot of applet heavy sites anyway.
Old 08-16-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried following Microsofts instructions for uninstalling IE6. But you can't really uninstall it apparently because it's so intergrated. But, I changed something in the registry and "reinstalled" the browser. Then I installed just the 1.4.2. But I'm still getting the same problems. Thanks for the suggestions though.