Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Urgent! Need good data recovery for memory stick!! specific section about BB's method

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Urgent! Need good data recovery for memory stick!! specific section about BB's method

Old 08-09-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, long story short, I bought a new Sandisk 1gig card for my camera less then 2 weeks ago. Last week on my honeymoon it crapped out on me forcing me to buy a 512m card on the cruise costing me double of course. That wasnt the problem, the new card worked fine.

The problem was that the error I was getting from the gig card was C:13:01 which, after reading, I found a lot of people were having the same problem with Sandisk cards. Most of them gave explanations on how to fix the error buy reformatting it since most of the time it happened when the stick was new. However in my case I need to get the pics off of it if possible. Im assuming the error didnt just simply erase all the data just like that.

I checked out BB to make sure the problem was with the actual card and not with the adaptor (its a memory stick duo) it turns out its the actual card. I asked the BB guy what software they use to do the recover and i forgot what he said. All I know is that ive tried about 6 different trial versions of software last night and all have come up with nothing.

I bought a usb reader specifically for the job hoping id find somehting. One program came up with 950mgs capacity for one of its points of reference. Now I wasnt sure if that was simply saying how my the card can hold or how much space is availalbe. If its the latter then the images are gone, since I took around 300 of them.

So, instead of BB charging me $60/hr with no guarantee that they will find anything...can you suggest any other image recovery programs that I should try? The images shouldnt have just deleted...hopefully they are still on there..

Thanks
Old 08-09-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

getdataback

http://www.runtime.org/
Old 08-09-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You are probably right....the images are still there. It is possible the file system on the card was corrupted. You tried a separate card reader, but does you digital camera have a usb cable where you can browse the images on your card? Have you tried that?

Here is a link to a couple of files you can try (if you haven't already).

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/sy...arecovery.html

Look for the PC Inspector Smart Recovery and Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery.

Good luck!
Old 08-10-05, 12:50 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

one more to throw in the mix
http://www.artplus.hr/adapps/eng/dpr.htm
Old 08-10-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

cajun_junky, when I hook up the camera through USB to usually browse the pics and copy etc. (if this is what you mean) I cant see the folder on the card, I can see camera but cant see the card inside.. Im looking into those programs now...

Damn..I try different cards in the reader and they show up fine and right away... i try this card in it and i cant get properties on it and if i try to open it it just causes "my computer" to hang and i have to forge quit it. Then the reader insnt loaded anymore due to windows quitting so i have to either reload it or restart it. The digital photo recovry software hangs at a certain point as well...

I was wondering if anyone knows what BB uses or would use? What would constitute them to charge $60/hr just to see if there is anything on it.. not get it off of course.

Last edited by DigitalDuck; 08-10-05 at 02:17 AM.