Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Problem with reformating HD...other options?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-09-05, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently ran the Seagate diagnostic tool and discovered literally hundreds of bad sectors on my 250GB SATA HD. I'm sending it back for exchange for a new one.

So far, I successfully reformated the drive using "quick format", but the computer seems to stall when I try to do a regular format. I don't know if the computer is stalled or if it can't reformat over bad sectors that weren't "fixed". What other options do I have? I've already manually erased all the files, but I'm sure there's a way to retrieve it. Any recommendations?
Old 08-09-05, 09:54 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had that happen when a drive went bad. It was a 250GB WD that went bad the 2nd day after I got it. I never trust drives for the first few days.

I wanted to erase what was on it so I did the freezer trick and it let me get through a low-level format and a data wipe when it had stalled before.
Old 08-09-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dariks boot n nuke png wipe 2 rounds should be enough

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

it is a freeware tool and it works, i know for a fact that the DOE is using this tool to wipe their drives before they send their machines out to the dump. so are some other government places

Last edited by BeanDip0001; 08-09-05 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-09-05, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by X
I've had that happen when a drive went bad. It was a 250GB WD that went bad the 2nd day after I got it. I never trust drives for the first few days.

I wanted to erase what was on it so I did the freezer trick and it let me get through a low-level format and a data wipe when it had stalled before.
Never heard of the freezer trick until now. I did a quick search on it on google and it seems to work for some people. Sounds kinda neat. How long did you leave it in there for? Will there be any consequence as to freezing it? some people said condensation? I'm exchanging it for a new one and I'd hate for them to find something physically wrong it and not send me a new one?
Old 08-09-05, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
dariks boot n nuke png wipe 2 rounds should be enough

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

it is a freeware tool and it works, i know for a fact that the DOE is using this tool to wipe their drives before they send their machines out to the dump. so are some other government places
Thanks for the recommendation. I checked out the site and it seems like a lot of people have had good success with it. Since it's a bootable disk, does it mean it can only wipe out the main drive? Or does it allow you to wipe out a secondary HD?
Old 08-09-05, 11:21 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fooman
Never heard of the freezer trick until now. I did a quick search on it on google and it seems to work for some people. Sounds kinda neat. How long did you leave it in there for? Will there be any consequence as to freezing it? some people said condensation? I'm exchanging it for a new one and I'd hate for them to find something physically wrong it and not send me a new one?
Stick it in a freezer bag and then in the freezer for a couple hours. Take it out, wipe off any obvious condensation (there should be very little) and hook it up. Do whatever you can as quickly as you can.

No problem with them finding anything physically wrong. Your drive could have been on a truck in a snowstorm in the middle of winter. That's probably why they throw that desiccator thing in the bag.