Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Did I set up My wireless network correctly?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-09-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the wireless thing, the network will have 3 computers total, mine which is a direct connect, and 2 laptops connected wirelessly.

I got a netgear 54mbs 802.11 g router.

On it I did the following,

Changed the password,

Enabled MAC address filtering, (I tested it and it works)

Turned off "UPnP ON"

And Enabled Automatic WEP 128bit encryption

Changed Network Name

Both Wireless Router Radio and SSID Broadcast are enabled by default.

Everything Else I left on default.

Is there Anything Else I should do, or not do? Should I use WPA instead or WEP?
Old 08-09-05, 06:09 PM

Yeas

use wpa instead, it's not perfect, but better than wep.
Old 08-09-05, 06:09 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
WPA-PSK is preferable. Turn off SSID Broadcast if your computers don't need it.
Old 08-09-05, 06:18 PM
Retired

Of course you might not have the option for WPA on certain wireless adapter cards. I know mine doesn't and you have to get a fairly expensive one (from a quick search I did at bestbuy.com) to get a card that has WPA.

It seems like most integrated wireless adapters have WPA support though.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 08-09-05 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-09-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, for your quick responces

What do I have to do to the other computers, for them to accept WPA? And If one doesn't is cappable of WPA, then should I use WEP? Also how would I find out if they need SSID?
Old 08-09-05, 06:19 PM
X
Administrator

My $10 Motorola USB G adapters have WPA and every recent one I've seen has it.
Old 08-09-05, 06:21 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by MrBob
What do I have to do to the other computers, for them to accept WPA? Also how would I find out if they need SSID?
Tell them you're using WPA when you configure them.

Try setting the SSID in the workstation configuration when it's not broadcast by the router. If it can't find the router try broadcasting the SSID and see if it works then.
Old 08-09-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok I'll try this later, when they get back.

Thanks
Old 08-09-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Barney1234
use wpa instead, it's not perfect, but better than wep.
agreed, but tivo only does wep
Old 08-09-05, 06:27 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by X
My $10 Motorola USB G adapters have WPA and every recent one I've seen has it.
Wow. Link? And I'm talking about PC-MCIA card adapters rather than USB (assuming they are different things, not that knowledgeable on the issue).

All the ones on Best Buy.com were $30 and up and most only listed WEP in the features. Of course they could just not be listing WPA, I haven't seriously shopped for one as my girlfriend just gave me her old 802.11b card and I barely use it as I prefer to work at my desk and it's easier (and faster with that crappy card as it get's half the cable speed on speed tests) to just plug in the ethernet cable.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 08-09-05 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-09-05, 06:39 PM
X
Administrator

The $15 D-Link cards I just tried (Cardbus and PCI) both had it. Several others I tried (I'd have to look up which brands) did too.
Old 08-09-05, 07:11 PM
Retired

In that case it's probably just Best Buy not listing that feature. At another glance Some only had WEP listed and some had no mention of security period, so that's probably it.

Guess best buy isn't a place to shop for wireless cards though, given their cheapest was $30 something.
Old 08-09-05, 07:30 PM
X
Administrator

BTW, I returned the D-Link cards. I couldn't even get one computer to recognize the PCI card was installed and the Cardbus hooked up to the network but dropped packets something terrible. Replaced them with the $10 Motorola USBs and they're fantastic.
Old 08-09-05, 07:52 PM
Retired

That sucks as I doubt I could do a USB adapter on my laptop as it's older and only has USB 1.0.

Any suggestions on a cheap 802.11g notebooks wireless card that supports WPA?
Old 08-09-05, 08:41 PM
X
Administrator

I used the Motorola just fine on my USB 1.1 notebook and a 1.1 desktop. However its speed was at USB 1.1 speed, 12 Mbps, even though it connected at 54 Mbps. No problem. No dropped packets.

There are deals every week on notebook cards; the plain G are being phased out so they're going down in price. I didn't look at the deals this week though.
Old 08-09-05, 09:25 PM
Retired

Cool. Thanks for the info.

I'd just like to get my internet download speeds up. When I'm getting 1490 kbps or so (on my 1500 DSL plan) I only get 600 some kbps on my crappy b card. My g/f brought over her newer dell with an integrated g adapter and was getting in the 1400's on it, so I know it's just that crappy SMC b card I have now causing that issue.
Old 08-09-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MAC filtering is just a pain to deal with and I don't know why people keep insisting that it's barely a speed bump to anyone capable of actually cracking WEP.

Also, WPA is better than WEP, but since it's vulnerable to an offline dictionary attack it's only as secure as your key. Be very sure that you have a strong passphrase, or in some ways you're system is even less secure than when using WEP.
Old 08-09-05, 09:31 PM
X
Administrator

Even USB 1.1 or 802.11b is almost 10 times as fast as your DSL. I would suspect some other problem.

I have used the SMC 802.11b notebook card as my primary card for a long time and have noticed no speed problem with it. Guess I'll try a speed test.
Old 08-09-05, 09:32 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by belboz
Also, WPA is better than WEP, but since it's vulnerable to an offline dictionary attack it's only as secure as your key. Be very sure that you have a strong passphrase, or in some ways you're system is even less secure than when using WEP.
I find a passphrase without spaces is a good way to go. Also throwing in some numbers helps.
Old 08-09-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you upgrade the firmware on your router?
Old 08-09-05, 09:53 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by X
Even USB 1.1 or 802.11b is almost 10 times as fast as your DSL. I would suspect some other problem.

I have used the SMC 802.11b notebook card as my primary card for a long time and have noticed no speed problem with it. Guess I'll try a speed test.

Beats me. I've ran all the speed tests and tweak tests at broadbandreports and made the tweaks and still get that slower speed witih wireless versus ethernet.

I'm thinking of canceling the DSL anyway, so I'm not that motivated to figure it out. Still on my 30 day trial and I'm having slow downs every evening. Start any time between 6-9 p.m. and last until midnight-1:30 a.m.

Get solid 1490's in the moring/afternoon, then drops and varies from 300-900 in the evenings.

Searching the boards at broadbandreports dug up a few threads and it appears to be a wide spread problem with verizon DSL on the east coast.

And specifially in towns where they have or are preparing (like here) FIOS service. Verizon won't acknowledge the problem but the running theories over there are that Verizon's pipeline to the internet for DSL is bogged down during peak hours as they've shifted more people together to make room for the FIOS pipeline. And the other theory being that they are simply bogged down period and are "oversold" having too many customers on at peak hour period for their pipeline sizej, regardless of FIOS.
Old 08-09-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by belboz
MAC filtering is just a pain to deal with and I don't know why people keep insisting that it's barely a speed bump to anyone capable of actually cracking WEP.

this is true, what is also true is if it is only two computers, it would take forever for someone to get your WEP keys. there is no way you would be sending enough across to capture enough golden packets in a short time frame.
Old 08-09-05, 10:45 PM
Retired

Wow, having a really weird problem. Any time I try to edit post #21 above it freezed and crashes my maxthon or IE window when I hit save changes.

I tested on my other posts in this thread and they submitted changes fine. Weird. Had problems when I posted it too, it froze up and took forever to go through. Guess it must have got in the database weird and isn't editable now.

Anyway, I was editing to add that my girlfiend had the same problem (much slower than wired) with the SMC card when she was using it in her laptops with her cable internet, so I'm pretty sure it's a faulty card.
Old 08-10-05, 02:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrBob
Changed the password,
Good.

Enabled MAC address filtering, (I tested it and it works)
MAC filtering is useless when you are using encryption. MAC filtering is not a security measure, by any stretch of the imagination. It will protect you from having somebody accidentally connect to your wireless, but it will not stop an intruder. And if you use encryption (WEP or WPA), then it adds absolutely no value at all, except making your network harder to administer. I recommend turning this back off.

Turned off "UPnP ON"
If you have the latest firmware update for your device, then I recommend turning this back on. Early versions of UPnP had security issues, but there are not any more that I am aware of. And it adds a lot of functionality that you might like).

Basically, it makes life behind a home NAT simpler. If you have it on, then you don't have to forward ports nearly as much as you used to, since lots of apps nowadays are UPnP aware. So just turn it back on.

And Enabled Automatic WEP 128bit encryption
Go with WPA-PSK (aka Shared Key) instead. It's just as easy to use as WEP, and more secure.

Changed Network Name
Good.

Both Wireless Router Radio and SSID Broadcast are enabled by default.
Good, leave 'em that way. Turning off SSID broadcast (which a lot of people also stupidly recommend) adds absolutely no security and was never intended to do so. The purpose of disabling SSID Broadcast is to reduce crosstalk in multipath situations, and if you don't know what that means then you shouldn't be screwing with it. Leave SSID Broadcast on.

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
this is true, what is also true is if it is only two computers, it would take forever for someone to get your WEP keys. there is no way you would be sending enough across to capture enough golden packets in a short time frame.
You're obviously not hip on the latest techniques.

"Golden" Packets are dead. Have been for years. The method of cracking WEP by watching for "weak IVs" no longer works because no access point or wireless card uses weak IVs anymore.

And a packet replay attack can generate enough packets to crack WEP the hard way in about 2 minutes. It'll take an hour or two to actually process the packets unless you have three or four computers working on it, but you can generate all the packets you need in next to no time at all. This works by watching for packets of known fixed sizes (ARP requests, mainly) and replaying them to the AP, then watching the responses from the AP (each of which has a new IV and is thus a new packet for helping in the cracking of the key).

WEP is totally insecure, period. It should not be used anymore. WPA is the way to go, and even then you need a strong passphrase (alpha+numeric+longer than 8 chars+not a dictionary word).

Last edited by Otto; 08-10-05 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-10-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, there is a lot of stuff that I don't know about, with wireless security. Like My passphrase for the WEP is lame and short, that will be rectified.

Okay I checked one of my roomates card and It had WPA-PSK listed in under Network authorization, and under that it had 3 choices listed in Network Encryption: WEP, Tsomthing, AES, I belive. Which of these should I have him chose?

Also I'm going to check on the firmware next.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.