Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

My MiniDV tape broke, advice on how to fix it.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-09-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I know its fixable, but Im trying to save the expense of taking it somewhere.

Just came back from my honeymoon and I was using an older tape that has never given me problems before, neither has my camera. Anyway, halfway through the tape it wouldnt eject the cassette or me and then it went back in by itself then started fast forwarding by itself then I would close it and open it again and same thing, it wouldn only rise halfway up so i couldnt get the tape out. When I finally did because it popped open finally, then tape was kinda krinkled, which i knew was going to happen, but it wouldnt let me FF or RW. So after looking at it myself and giving the tape a pull to get som slack and see if there is a twist in it somwhere, it finally snapped so now the right side of the tape is inside the cassette so i cant get it anymore to splice it.

So the question is this, there are four very small screws on the back of the cassette, if I remove the cover will the tape pop out due to some spring loaded design or would I be safe to find the twist and then splice the two and put the cover back on? I know the back is attached to the lever mechanism, any way around that?

Thanks
Old 08-10-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to fix VHS tapes like that all the time (had a tape splice and repair kit too). The important thing was to remove the cover when the tape was upside down, otherwise, some pieces would fall out, and unless you were familar with the inside of a cassette, you'd have no idea where they went. I've never tried to fix a MiniDV tape, but the principle is possibly similar. However, it would be quite a bit trickier, because everything is much smaller. If it's something important like a honeymoon tape though, I would just try to find someone with experience to do it (even if it costs money). You are already going to lose a small portion of the tape due to the twisted part having to be cut off, but you wouldn't want to risk losing more of the video footage than necessary.