Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Why is the Creative® 40GB NOMAD® Jukebox Zen Xtra so cheap? ($202 at CC)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-07-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like it always has been this much cheaper than other similarly sized alternatives. Is a color screen really worth 50% more for 30%+ less HD space? I'm an iPod fan due to my wife's 30GB, which is almost $130 more than this at the Costco. But I'm getting annoyed at my Rio.

And no, I don't need .wav support. But will all songs really be dumped into just one ugly ass long list? Can I view by artist, etc? Mostly I've just been doing podcasts on a daily basis (yeah, I'm more a talk radio guy), so the podcast menu on the iPod is nice to have.

I don't think this is a "price mistake", as it's similar (20 bux less) at other online shops. I just need to know if this is a "Nice Bargain ".

Someone please advise...

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...oductDetail.do
Old 08-07-05, 11:38 AM
Retired

1. With iPod you're paying for the brand name. Apple stuff is all expensive relative to the competition and people buy it at those prices so they have no reason to lower prices.

2. I think that's an old creative model that was replaced by the Zen Touch series. Though it's fine quality, just an older model lacking the touch strip for scrolling through menus.

Here's a link to the 40GB Zen Touch model.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=541966

I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up the Nomadif you need an HD based mp3 player. It's a great deal on a 40GB player. And Creative players are considered by many (including myself) to be the best sounding mp3 players on the market. I have a Dell DJ which is just a rebranded creative player and I think it sounds much better than my girlfriends iPod mini.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 08-07-05 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-07-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Josh. Hoping you would see this.

Well, it's more than just the price of the iPod brand name. I can't find anything over 20GB that is even close to it in price. The 20GB Touch, IRiver, (and of course Sony) are more than this guy. The 30GBs even worse. I can see it being the "old model". Everyone still seems to have it in stock, though.

How is the organization? Do you only just put things on random and play whatever? I don't want to search forever to find, say, the podcast du jour.

And I'm assuming no bookmarking if I want to leave and come back to (after switching to another recording), say, a 30 minute or more file?

Amazon reviews are pointless. Mostly favorable, which is good, but short on info.
Old 08-07-05, 12:05 PM
Retired

Yeah, that's why it's a great deal, it's not only cheapter than the iPods, but cheaper than most anything over 20MB. Again, it's just because it's an old model no longer being made that they're trying to clear out.

From what I can tell, the creative players have the exact same interface as my Dell DJ (again just a rebranded creative player).

The songs just go on by artist and album and the menu has options to browsed by artist or album. i.e. if I wanted to listen to the song "Black" I would go browse--->artists---->Pearl Jam---->Ten------->Black.

There is also a find artist function where you type in the first letter and it jumps to that section of the list to save times.

But of course there are easy options to turn on random play (play all and then shuffle) and all that kind of stuff as well.

So it's basically the same as the iPod in terms of finding songs, just minus the scroll wheel. Actual interface works nearly identically.

You can also make playlists and access them easily in the playlists section.

I'm not sure about bookmarks, and unfortunately I left my DJ at my parent's when I went home the week before last so I can't check for you.
Old 08-07-05, 12:41 PM
lxl

I got a 60GB Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra for ~$230 (after MIR) during last Thanksgiving.
Old 08-07-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've had one of these since September and I've been completely pleased with it. Ever since the cd changer in my car went defunct, I have been using my Jukebox in my car. It is awesome to have 4000 songs at my fingertips.

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
It seems like it always has been this much cheaper than other similarly sized alternatives. Is a color screen really worth 50% more for 30%+ less HD space? I'm an iPod fan due to my wife's 30GB, which is almost $130 more than this at the Costco. But I'm getting annoyed at my Rio.

And no, I don't need .wav support. But will all songs really be dumped into just one ugly ass long list? Can I view by artist, etc? Mostly I've just been doing podcasts on a daily basis (yeah, I'm more a talk radio guy), so the podcast menu on the iPod is nice to have.

I don't think this is a "price mistake", as it's similar (20 bux less) at other online shops. I just need to know if this is a "Nice Bargain ".

Someone please advise...

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...oductDetail.do
Old 08-07-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the 30GB Zen Xtra last year and love it. Full featured, great battery life (and user-replaceable as well) and sounds great. You may also want to consider getting Notmad Explorer (true Explorer interface, use your Zen as a music web server and much much more).
Old 08-07-05, 05:23 PM

i hate ipod!!! The battery sucks and its so overpriced. Get an IAudio x5. Its probably the best mp3 player in the market. It has the most features and ti costs just as much ipod $300.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1833882,00.asp
Old 08-08-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anything Creative >>>>>>>> iPod. Go for it.
Old 08-08-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matome
I got the 30GB Zen Xtra last year and love it. Full featured, great battery life (and user-replaceable as well) and sounds great. You may also want to consider getting Notmad Explorer (true Explorer interface, use your Zen as a music web server and much much more).
This is exactly what I would say. I love my 30GB Zen Xtra as well. Its not as pretty as the iPod, but its a really great player and by far the best sounding player I have owned. The iPod has the more user friendly interface, however, it only takes a short time to get down using the jog dial on the Zen and I have no trouble making playlists on the go and managing my songs.

It lets you bookmark every track if you need to, has some amazing options for tinkering with sound (some of the options were removed from the Touch for some reason) and its pretty easy to change the battery if you ever need to.

As mentioned above these are being discontinued for the smaller Touch series, but if you don't mind the larger size its a really great and inexpensive HDD player.
Old 08-08-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have had a Creative Nomad Zen NX 20 GB for almost 2 years and am really happy with it
Old 08-08-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just bought these (see below) to replace my current 3G 15GB iPod. This player is a little too bulky (and expensive) to be carrying around town, so I'm going to purchase a smaller one for that (likely the iPod shuffle). This Zen Vision is mainly for when I'm stuck in long boring car rides, and for dumping video files off my computer to watch on my television set. Should be nice.

Old 08-18-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm scared of the first gen of the video products. My "plan" (subject to home approval) is a 30-60GB HD based audio player, a $100ish flash-based player for exercising, being in bad neighborhoods, or just when I don't want to carry the bigger player, and some video device when they get a little more history behind them (and a little cheaper).

I'm still leaning towards the Xtra, but my cheap @ss has trouble spending the money on myself some times... I'm somewhat afraid of on-line in not having a place to drive to for a return if I get a lemon. But I haven't heard too many stories of lemons on these models.

The sale I mentioned in the original post is over, but they are running a different one. However, it's a couple bucks more from when I started this thread. Jeeves, however, pointed out a place where it's cheaper.

http://www.compuplus.com/i/AUDIO/MP3...k=searchViewed

The 40GB Extra is $199 with a $30 rebate, but cheapest shipping is "2-day", at $14.95 , for a total of $185 delivered. But the sales tax in Texas at CC would be more than the shipping, in addition to the price of over $200 (plus about the half-gallon of gas to get to/from there ).

The 30GB is only $15 cheaper, the 60GB is $54 more.

Unless someone wants to sell theirs.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 08-18-05 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-18-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought one of these for about $200 around Christmas time with money I got for Christmas. It works great. I haven't had any problems.