Reload this Page >

Motorola RAZR questions? MP3?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-06-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a RAZR today. I'm wondering how I can put my own MP3's on there as a ringer? How much data can the RAZR hold also?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Would a bluetooth dongle on my PC do the trick? I've been doing a little research. Any good prices for them?
Old 08-06-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Would a bluetooth dongle on my PC do the trick? I've been doing a little research. Any good prices for them?

I use bluetooth to transfer mp3s to my RAZR and V80, but I also had to have the Motorola mobile phones tools installed to use it properly.

The RAZR has about 5mb of storage I believe. I have quite a few mp3 ringtones I made that are all about 25 seconds long and sit around the 70kb mark in size.
Old 08-06-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Yes, that'll do the trick. I've found most of the 30 second mp3 samples at walmart.com are perfect for ringtones.
Old 08-06-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks....any good places to get a bluetooth dongle cheap?
Old 08-08-05, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks....any good places to get a bluetooth dongle cheap?

You could try Newegg.com. They have great service and usually some of the best prices.
Old 08-08-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just ordered one from NewEgg.com

So, how exactly do I transfer files when I get this? Do I need any software (to transfer) or will they just sync up?

Thanks!
Old 08-08-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I just ordered one from NewEgg.com

So, how exactly do I transfer files when I get this? Do I need any software (to transfer) or will they just sync up?

Thanks!
Once you get the dongle set up, you'll end up with a "My Bluetooth Places" on your computer.

Setting the phone to "discoverable" and scanning from within the "My Bluetooth Places" folder should sync everything up. Your computer will probably generate a passkey you'll need to enter into the phone.

I'm not sure what you'll need to do after that. I've only used a Bluetooth dongle with my old Nokia 6600 and it didn't always work well. My RAZR and my Mac Mini with built-in Bluetooth hooked right up.
Old 08-08-05, 01:31 PM
Banned

I have a Razr. Here's how you do it without Mobile Phone Tools:

Install the bluetooth device. You can set up some services on the computer, such as stuff to let the computer act as a headset and such, but these are largely not required.

Turn on the bluetooth mode on the phone. You may need to select "Find Me" as well, to make the phone discoverable for 60 seconds.

Open up My Bluetooth Places, then open up "Entire Bluetooth Neighborhood" or something similar to that.

Find your phone. When you select it, it may want you to associate to the phone. This should be pretty straightforward, just put in the same passcode on both the phone and the computer (any passcode will do as long as they're the same).

Finally, look for something called "OBEX Object Push". Drag and drop your MP3 onto here and it'll be sent to the phone. You'll have to accept it on the phone before it'll get sent over.

Done and done.

For MP3 ringtones, I recommend special encoder settings. Cut them down to the length you want using an audio editor or something. For your MP3 settings, use the following:
-Mono sound (not stereo)
-32khz sample rate
-32kbps bitrate (CBR! NOT VBR)

Yes, this sounds pretty bad on the PC. But on the phone as a ringer, it sounds virtually identical to a full out stereo 44.1 VBR MP3 file. The ringer speaker simply isn't high quality enough to sound great. And using these encoder settings saves a TON of space. You can get a 30 second sample into a 120kb file this way, and it sounds perfect as a ringer. Given that the thing only has 6 megs of memory, this is worth the trouble. Also, the RAZR has issues with VBR files. Avoid using these. Another problem you might have is if you go to a low bitrate without resampling to 32khz sample rate. This causes an issue as the MPEG I Layer 3 format doesn't support low bitrates at 44.1khz. So your encoder switches to MPEG II Layer 3, and the phone chokes on MPEG II files. If you go to really low bitrates, resampling to 32kz avoids this.

If you didn't understand all that, then here's all you need to know. Get a copy of LAME 3.96 from www.rarewares.com. Make your MP3 the way you like, then run this command line on it:
Code:
lame --preset 32 -m m --resample 32 --mp3input input.mp3 output.mp3
Done and done. It'll work perfectly now and be very small too.

Also, if you want some free Java games for your Razr, email me. I've got lots.

Last edited by Otto; 08-08-05 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-08-05, 01:43 PM

My moto RAZR is a cingular one and not directly from motorola....can I install my own mp3s and so on? or can I only use the ones from cingular's website?
Old 08-08-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wow, thanks....I'll have to look into that lame program when I get my bluetooth device!
Old 08-08-05, 03:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
My moto RAZR is a cingular one and not directly from motorola....can I install my own mp3s and so on?
Yes, yes you can. I have a Cingular Razr too. Nothing has been disabled on the phone, they just added all the branding and the links to their pay services. You can still DIY for everything.
Old 08-08-05, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Otto
Yes, yes you can. I have a Cingular Razr too. Nothing has been disabled on the phone, they just added all the branding and the links to their pay services. You can still DIY for everything.
Cool....a friend of mine said that we couldnt since it was a cingular one....what blue tooth head set does everyone use?
Old 08-08-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Cool....a friend of mine said that we couldnt since it was a cingular one....what blue tooth head set does everyone use?
Motorola HS810

Old 08-09-05, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
Motorola HS810

Cool thanks...I went ahead and got the 820 cause it was only like 10$ more on ebay. I got mine shipped for about $55 total. Not bad.

I wonder how well the car kits work?
Old 08-11-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally got my bluetooth device...things are working great. Many thanks to OTTO!
Old 08-13-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I get a failed install...does it still keep the data I tried to install on my phone, or dies it delete it automatically?
Old 08-15-05, 11:44 AM
Banned

If you get a failed install on a java game, then the game simply doesn't work on your unit, and it's thrown away. It's not that it "deletes it automatically", it's that it doesn't install it so it's not actually copied to the thing.
Old 08-15-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

do you guys happen to know if I can upload an .rtx ringtone file onto a RAZR or would it have to be converted to mp3 or something first. I've been trying to put this Dimmu Borgir ringtone on my cell phones for about 3 years and since my old phone is dying, I'm considering getting a RAZR (which seems a little strange that a ringtone capability thing would determine what phone I get)