Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How do I get rid of these Winfixer 2005 popups/spyware/embeds?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-05-05, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winfixer 2005 is currently the bane of my computer, it seems to have invaded my laptop and will not go away, removing one window or button seems to invite 3 more. It is incessant and annoying, any advice on getting rid of it would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I've run Avast Anti-virus already and have a pop up stopper already in place, but the presistance of this Winfixer is ubelievable.
Old 08-05-05, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open Regedit. Look in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Do you see anything there with "UWFX5" in it? It might be pointing to something in C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files. Remove it. While you're there, search for "WinFixer" and delete anything you find that looks related to it in a major way.

Then reboot to safe mode, delete whatever EXE that registry entry was pointing to. Also search for "WinFixer" on the hard drive and delete those directories as well, if you find any. Clear out any and all temp directories while you're at it.

That should get rid of it. Maybe. If not, might need to post a HijackThis log.