Reload this Page >

Wireless connection problems

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-05-05, 11:39 AM
Political Exile

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a wrt54g wireless router that out of nowhere is giving me problems. Well I don't know if it's the router or my laptop itself. It was working perfectly until last night when my laptop couldn't connect to the network out of the blue. I tried repairing the connection, rebooting, not really sure what else I'm supposed to do. The network shows up on the list with full signal strength. There aren't any new phones in the house, and I don't think one was purchased at 1am last night. I don't know what settings I may have accidentally changed that would suddenly cause me to lose connectivity. I ran an ethernet cable, and that works perfectly fine. Only the wireless is giving me problems. Running WinXP pro SP 2 if that helps.

Any suggestions? I don't like being tethered.
Old 08-05-05, 11:59 AM
Political Exile

Now I can connect, but can't obtain an IP address. I just don't understand how it can be working perfectly one second, and then out of nowhere it decides it doesn't feel like it. I hate computers.
Old 08-05-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you mentioned that you get a signal (full strength) and that if wired, it is connected, that leaves me to believe the password encryption was reset somehow.

Did you originally have password encryption set up when you originally set up the wireless connection? (in other words, can anyone who brings a laptop with a wireless network card connect to your network?) If you did have a password, that may have been erased/deleted. If you don't know what it was or how to enter it, you may have to reset your router. If you do, you'll need to use the wired connection and log into your router's webpage and change the settings so that the password is something you remember/know.

hope that helps.
Old 08-05-05, 12:03 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) Try unplugging the router, wait 5 minute, then replug it in.
2) Try a different channel (go into wireless settings IN THE ROUTER).
Old 08-05-05, 12:05 PM
Political Exile

I tried the channel changing thing, and I pressed the reset button. That's when I can connect, but no IP address. Yes I do have encryption, but the password is still there.
Old 08-05-05, 12:15 PM
Political Exile

Unplugging it seems to have worked, but it does feel a little slow. Maybe it's just my imagination.
Old 08-05-05, 12:28 PM
Retired

Hopefully that fixed it.

Also, you don't have any 2.4 ghz phone or anything else working on the frequency do you?

I had problems connecting, and unhooked my 2.4 phone and it went away. Had to pick up a 900mhz one.
Old 08-05-05, 12:34 PM
Political Exile

I was thinking phone, but I have had this router for at least a month, and none of the phones have changed in the house.
Old 08-05-05, 12:36 PM
Retired

Yeah, probably not a phone then, but if you keep having problems and have 2.4 I'd pull the power on it (them) and see if it improves matters just to be sure.