Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Are eMachine Computers Any Good?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-03-05, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about buying a eMachine computer for school. I keep hearing that they're pretty good in terms of performance and reliablity. Here's the specs on the one I might get.

- 15" LCD flat panel monitor
- AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor (2.2 GHz)
- 512 MB DDR memory (expandable to 2 GB)
- ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Graphics with 128 MB DDR shared video memory
- 100 GB (7200 RPM) hard disk drive
- DVD+/-RW (16x multi-format double layer drive)
- 8 in 1 media manager
- 56k fax/modem
- 10/100 Ethernet LAN
- 7 USB 2.0 ports
- 1 IEEE 1394 port
- Multi-function keyboard
- 2 button wheel mouse

This leads me to my next question, which is better AMD or Intel? Will this computer play CD-ROMs or will I have to buy that drive seperate? I really don't need a beefed up computer to play the latest games but could this computer maybe play Halflife 2 or Doom 3?
Old 08-03-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

mixed reviews
some people have them and say they get the job done
most people consider them total crap
very integrated
support sucks

save yourself the hassle and get a deal.. with all the coupons out there.. the prices will be very comparable.
Old 08-03-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I assume based on the specs, you're talking about a laptop. If so, get a dell. You should be able to find a great deal on Dell laptops, as they usually have some sort of deal available. If you're talking about a desktop, build your own. It's not hard with a little bit if study, and you'll wind up with a better, less expensive PC.
Old 08-03-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

what makes you think laptop?
I read it as a desktop

btw.. while I insist on building my own.. and you will end up with better components.. I dont think its possible to be cheaper anymore.. hasnt really been cheaper to build your own for 4 or 5 years now.
Old 08-03-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell
I assume based on the specs, you're talking about a laptop. If so, get a dell. You should be able to find a great deal on Dell laptops, as they usually have some sort of deal available. If you're talking about a desktop, build your own. It's not hard with a little bit if study, and you'll wind up with a better, less expensive PC.
Dell?! ack!!! Out of the frying pan(eMachine) and into the fire(Dell)! Dell notebooks are the worst hunk-o-junks. I don't know anyone who is happy with their Dell notebook. They run way too hot (often shutting down due to high temperatures), miscellaneous failures, and just poor manufacturing all the way around.

Trixie was a big Dell fan, so when she wanted to get a notebook I agreed to get a Dell because it would be hers and she was comfortable with them. It turned out to be a boat anchor. NEVER AGAIN! Paid a few bucks more and got a high quality ThinkPad.

But the OP is talking about a desktop.
Old 08-03-05, 03:25 PM

Well, the first thing I saw was the videocard, and I don't see that card in many of the desktops I've looked at in the past. Though I must admit that I've never looked at eMachines computers. I also saw he wanted to use it for school, so I assumed laptop. Of course, looking at it again, you're right. It is a desktop. Should have looked closer rather than glancing over it.

Either way, my advice is buy your parts and build your own. You'll learn a lot, build a better, less expensive computer.

hasnt really been cheaper to build your own for 4 or 5 years now.
I don't know! If you're careful, you can come out a lot better than a dell when it comes to price. I just built my brother a desktop with the following for $900+, not including monitor.

- Asus A8N-E PCIe mobo
- AMD Athlon 64 3500+
- MSI Geforce NX6600GT PCIe
- Creative Audigy 2 Value sound card
- 1 Gig of Corsair Value PC3200 Dual Channel DDR
- Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA 120GB
- BenQ DW1620
- NEC floppy drive
- Antec TPII-430

Heck, I even got a Cooler Master Centurion 5 for $50. Not including taxes, we spend a little over $900, and that's a damn good PC for that money. Of course, we also bought everything online. The last Dell I bought was $3400, monitor including. That was even back in the Pentium III days.

He can spend a fraction of that, if he just plans on using it for web surfing and school. My bro needed one fairly powerful.

Dell?! ack!!! Out of the frying pan(eMachine) and into the fire(Dell)! Dell notebooks are the worst hunk-o-junks.
Different experiences I guess. I've had one for two years, and not a single problem. My sister's had one for 3 years without a problem.

Last edited by Terrell; 08-03-05 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-03-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
what makes you think laptop?
I read it as a desktop

btw.. while I insist on building my own.. and you will end up with better components.. I dont think its possible to be cheaper anymore.. hasnt really been cheaper to build your own for 4 or 5 years now.
That's true.

Also bear in mind the time and hassles of obtaining all of the drivers for the parts and the expense of buying Windows XP.
Old 08-03-05, 03:33 PM

Also bear in mind the time and hassles of obtaining all of the drivers for the parts and the expense of buying Windows XP.
Find drivers is no hassle, assuming you know what you're doing. As for the OS, if you already own XP or 2000, you don't need to buy it. Heck, get an upgrade OS and it will cost your far less.

If you know what you're doing, you can spend far less building your own rather than buying one of those pre-manufactured PCs. Plus, you can upgrade easier and for less money.
Old 08-03-05, 03:38 PM

Sorry guys it is a desktop.
Old 08-03-05, 03:40 PM

No problem poetic. I seem to be the only one to miss that. I just glanced over it.
Old 08-03-05, 04:01 PM
Jae
Cool New Member

eMachines pcs are actually decent. i remember a couple years ago when they were total crap, but now they're very reliable. to me those specs look very nice and if you add a better video card im pretty sure that your computer will run most games out today.

AMD vs. Intel...well, there is no "better" processor. AMD is mostly used for gaming and Intel is used for applications such as: media,processing ect... umm in my opinion AMD is the more.."bought" processor because of its cheap price. basically intel gives you a slightly better performance for more money while the AMD is the cheaper processor that plays games very well. also AMD processors do more "work" than Intel Processors,
a 2ghz amd processor could perform at the rate equivalent of that of a 3ghz intel processor. also amd cpu tend to run a little bit hotter than intels
Old 08-03-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought an Emachine AMD 3200+ in January and I'am completely happy with it. The 512MB of ram is a little funky, I thought about going to 1 Gig but I found out you need a certain kind of ram, At least for the model I bought.
Old 08-03-05, 08:50 PM

As with all things computers and electronics, experiences will be different for different people. For instance, sracer has had terrible experience with Dell laptops. I myself as well as others I have known have had great experiences.

I haven't had any experience with eMachines. They're probably no better or no worse than Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Compaq. I used to have a Dell, but decided to build my own. Couldn't be happier. But it takes some work to build your own. If you're not comfortable doing that, then these premanufactured PCs should serve you fine.
Old 08-03-05, 09:21 PM

Since Gateway acquired emachines ~2 years ago, they're very solid... prior to that yes, they were crap
Old 08-03-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have three emachines running great. One is about 1 year old, one is from when Windows ME came installed, and the other came w/ 98.
No problems at all.
Old 08-03-05, 10:22 PM

Since Gateway acquired emachines ~2 years ago
Interesting! I did not know that. I guess it's true, you learn something new everyday.
Old 08-03-05, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Terrell

I have often heard this. Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting a good deal on a Dell laptop?
Old 08-03-05, 11:55 PM

Thanks guys. You helped out a lot.
Old 08-03-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had my emachines for about 6 months and after a buncha custom made "gaming machines" this is the best comp ive had.Just dropped an ati 800xl in it and its kicking ass and was cheap too

edit-you will probably have to upgrade the video card to play those games though and make them look nice and run smoothly.

Last edited by astrochimp; 08-04-05 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-04-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An eMachine would be just fine for school. What kind of a deal are you talking about? Under $500?
Old 08-04-05, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dave-o
I have often heard this. Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting a good deal on a Dell laptop?
http://www.bensbargains.net/

check their archives, it was posted yesterday
Old 08-04-05, 07:16 AM
Suspended

I have two eMachines at home. One for 2 years and another for 3 years. I've never had a single problem with either one.