Reload this Page >

Apple's new mouse

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Apple's new mouse

Old 08-02-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apple's new mouse

Finally, a two-button mouse. Five, to be exact.

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/
Old 08-02-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun3000
Finally, a two-button mouse. Five, to be exact.

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/
Looks neat, but from what I can tell from the website, it's really only a 4 button mouse, since the side 2 buttons do the same thing.

Not sure how that touch sensor stuff would work for games either. Nice to see apple trying something new, though.
Old 08-02-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it looks nice, but i am unsure how this would work in a windows environment (my keyboard and mouse are connected to both a mac mini and a pc via a kvm switch). my intellimouse does all it needs to do. the mighty mouse does look sleek.
Old 08-02-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yes, but does it come in "blueberry"?
Old 08-02-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the button setup is like on the new Logitech mice, where the buttons are interated into the body.

I thought the side buttons could each be assigned a separate function. It would suck if that's not true. My favorite feature of all the new mice is the two side buttons. I always map them to Foward and Back for web browsing.
Old 08-02-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun3000
I thought the side buttons could each be assigned a separate function.
That's what I thought at first too. But based on this pic, it looks like that's not the case.
Old 08-02-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it were Bluetooth, I'd be on it like that.

But Macally is releasing a wireless Bluetooth mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel in the coming weeks.

I'll wait for that one.
Old 08-02-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

White colored mouse!My hands are sweaty and I hate cleaning it on weekly basis
Old 08-02-05, 10:39 PM

More than one button? Way to confuse and alienate your "base", Apple.
Old 08-03-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks silly to me.
Old 08-03-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd rather get a Logitech MX1000 for $5 more?
Old 08-03-05, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ars review
Old 08-03-05, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
No shit! I don't get how Apple can make a big deal about a $50 corded mouse that does less than a Logitech mouse I've been using for three years that cost half as much. And Apple's mice don't come close to feeling right in the human hand.
Old 08-03-05, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
No shit! I don't get how Apple can make a big deal about a $50 corded mouse that does less than a Logitech mouse I've been using for three years that cost half as much. And Apple's mice don't come close to feeling right in the human hand.

2 of my roommates own macs, a dual g4 and a g5. They both have those basic mac mice. It's got to be the most disgusting thing I've ever used. It doesn't feel good in my hand, it moves like shit, and it's, well obviously, only got one button. I'll never have to use one regularily, but if I did there's no way in hell I could get anything done with it. Even the G5 is fairly new (a few months) and the mouse is all "sticky" and crazy feeling. It feels like I have a mouse ball again that needs to be cleaned. Just give me my MX700 or above and I'm happy.
Old 08-03-05, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think this kinda shows how some computer users are willing to except anything from their manufacturer, all in the name of blind brand loyalty, and willingly accept the hype, because to admit otherwise would invalidate their expensive systems.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 08-03-05 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-03-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
I think this kinda shows how some computer users are willing to except anything from their manufacturer, all in the name of blind brand loyalty, and willingly accept the hype, because to admit otherwise would invalidate their expensive systems.

That is a stretch. Did they say they just sold millions of them? No. They are just trying to do something different than the competition. i.e. what they have always done. Have you actually seen or used one? I didn't think so. Just someone from a different market share blindly bashing the competition. Nothing new there.

All that aside, the nub technology looks very interesting, BUT that style mouse isn't very comfy when compared to logitech's line. I used the standard mouse for a while. It is decent, just not the greatest. I can accept no wireless, as their market is limited. They will get as many sales with this that they can and then release the wireless version.

As for Logitech, I've had the MX700 for 1-2 years and it is amazing and the most comfortable mouse I've ever laid my hands on. I bought the MX1000 last week, wow, where did logitech go wrong with this one? It is nowhere near as comfy. I'd take the apple mouse over that one. I've already unplugged it and hooked my 700 back up. That thing is going up on ebay.
Old 08-03-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If they just added Microsoft's Intellimouse ability to have the programmable buttons dynamically change depending on the active application, it would be the perfect mouse.
Old 08-04-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Something else I'm curious about: The new Mac mouse has two "buttons" where PC mice have buttons, under where your index and middle fingers fall, but they aren't actually physical buttons. The surface of the mouse is touch-sensitive. So does that mean you have to keep your fingers from touching the mouse so you don't "click" the buttons?
Old 08-04-05, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went to the Apple Store, tried it, and...

...Back to the Logitech MX500 mouse for me! ( on Apple's new mouse pointer)

I prefer the MX500 over the Apple Mighty Mouse for these reasons:

1. Better, more comfortable fit on your right hand.

2. Easier to find and use the multiple button functionality on the mouse.

3. Smoother vertical document scrolling.

4. Hefty, built like a tank reassuring feel to the mouse.
Old 08-04-05, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What else would explain Windows' ubiquity?
Old 08-04-05, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Something else I'm curious about: The new Mac mouse has two "buttons" where PC mice have buttons, under where your index and middle fingers fall, but they aren't actually physical buttons. The surface of the mouse is touch-sensitive. So does that mean you have to keep your fingers from touching the mouse so you don't "click" the buttons?
I haven't used it but I hear the mouse mechanism is very similar to the current mac mouse in that the entire front is depressed as a single button. When the button is pressed the touch sensitive pads then determine which finger pressed it. I've heard conflicting reports on whether the mouse requires you to lift the left finger when using the right 'button'. By default if both fingers are detected it registers a left click, so I guess it depends on how sesitive the touch pads are and whether a resting finger is detected.
Old 08-04-05, 01:05 PM

i saw a no name cheap mouse yesterday with that "pointer/ball" where the scroll wheel should be. so apple isn't first there
Alas the fate of the one-button mouse in today’s multibutton world. Who has time for intuitive, elegant design when there is so much clicking to do?
LOL what a bunch of crap
Old 08-04-05, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
did that comment hit a nerve?
Old 08-04-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
Some people just want functionality, instead of Metrosexual Decor in lieu of functionality.
Old 08-04-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tek2k
las the fate of the one-button mouse in today’s multibutton world. Who has time for intuitive, elegant design when there is so much clicking to do?
LOL what a bunch of crap
I had to laugh at that comment too.

The one-button mouse is beyond obsolete. Why Apple sticks to it I cannot possibly understand. It made perfect sense in 1981 when we brought out the Lisa, with an unproved interface targeted at busy executives. We wanted an interface that could be learned in 20 minutes, and you can't do that with a mouse festooned with buttons.

Now it is almost 20 years later. The GUI interface seems to have caught on, and people recognize the advantage of learning it, even if it does take longer than 20 minutes.

I've been using a two-button mouse on my Macs for a couple years now, and no one could pry them away from me.

Two button mice are a decade overdue on the Macintosh.
Bruce "Tog" Tognazzini
During his 14 years at Apple Computer, he founded the Apple Human Interface Group and acted as Apple's Human Interface Evangelist.

The above quotes were made around 5 years ago. I stole the links for a user in the Ars review discussion.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.