Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

ITunes Question - Transfer PC - PC

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-02-05, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have multiple PC's in my home, and I would like to have my iTunes library on both.

What is the best way to do this?
Old 08-02-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

itunes will allow you to play another computer's itunes library as long as itunes is on in the other computer. you can also move an entire library from one computer to another via an ipod using a 3rd party program (i believe ephPod will do the trick). your iTMS songs should be able to be authorized for use on more than one computer.
Old 08-02-05, 11:46 AM
Banned

just MAKE SURE you don't have it set to update every time you connect it.
Old 08-02-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
just MAKE SURE you don't have it set to update every time you connect it.
this is an excellent point -- a blank itunes library will wipe out whatever you have on your ipod if it is set to automatically update.
Old 08-03-05, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDogBK
I have multiple PC's in my home, and I would like to have my iTunes library on both.

What is the best way to do this?
Depends on your needs.

If you just want to be able to play songs from one computer to the other, then you can just have wholly separate libraries and use iTunes built in music sharing functionality to play songs over the network. iTunes does need to be running on both machines for this to work.

If you want to actually be able to edit the info about music on both machines, then you have two options:
1. Copy all your songs from one computer to the other. Have two separate libraries. use some 3rd party program to sync these two from time to time.
2. Put all your music in a shared directory somewhere, and map a drive to that shared directory from the machine the songs are not on. This will keep your libraries separate, but they will be pointing at the same songs. Every once in a while, you'll have to re-add all the music into iTunes on both machines, to keep their libraries in sync.

There is no good automatic way to handle this case. Not yet.
Old 08-04-05, 08:03 PM

Damn.

I do have a wireless network in my house, but, I'm not saavy enough to share files...
Old 08-05-05, 02:17 AM
Banned

It's not hard. How do you want to do it? What functionality do you want to be able to have on each of your machines?

In other words, define your goals more precisely, then somebody can tell you how to best accomplish them.