Reload this Page >

Firefox quirk re: gifs???

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-01-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is that many animated gifs run really really fast in firefox? Is there some setting I can adjust? It's really annoying to have them cycle at a 100 mph.
Old 08-01-05, 10:06 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brizz
Why is that many animated gifs run really really fast in firefox? Is there some setting I can adjust? It's really annoying to have them cycle at a 100 mph.
Not really a fix but confirming that FF and IE seem to display animated gifs differently. On my FF, however, I notice they actually play back a bit slower than what I'm expecting (from making gifs for the animated gifs thread).
Old 08-03-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brizz

Type
Code:
about:config
into your browser. You might be able to find settings for displaying animated gifs there. Double-click a parameter to change it. Bold parameters are user-defined and non-bold are defaults.
Old 08-03-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

change gifspeed:100mph to gifspeed:55mph
Old 08-03-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
change gifspeed:100mph to gifspeed:55mph
Old 08-03-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by yashan
Type
Code:
about:config
into your browser. You might be able to find settings for displaying animated gifs there. Double-click a parameter to change it. Bold parameters are user-defined and non-bold are defaults.
in the about:config there is a setting of
image.animation_mode

The Value should be "Normal"

You can try the extension Anidisable 1.0. It will give you the right click (contect menu) options of "normal", "once" or "none"

This does not control the speed however.

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 08-03-05 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 01:48 PM
Banned

This is actually a problem with IE and the GIF, not with Firefox.

IE displays animated GIFs incorrectly. It always has. So most animated GIFs on the web were made to look correct in IE.

Essentially, an animated GIF is nothing more than a series of frames to display with a delay setting between each frame. IE has always tried to "guess" at what that frame rate should be instead of simply doing what the GIF says. The reason for this is that early animated GIFs contained no delay value in them, they were kind of a hack. Furthermore, IE has changed their guess algorithim several times, so it's a kind of moving target to hit. So generally people have just loaded their animation up in IE and seeing how it looks.

Mozilla used to do something along these lines too, but that has been totally dropped now (I think) and thus Firefox will do *exactly* what the animated GIF says to do. If it says to pause for 10 milliseconds between frames, then that's what Firefox does. IE will wait 100 milliseconds instead, that sort of thing.

If the animated GIF is made correctly, it'll show up in Firefox and IE correctly nowadays (latest IE only tries to "guess" when the delay value is missing or zero, I think), but most animated GIFs have incorrect delays in them because of the years of IE being broken.
Old 08-06-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some editors, like IrfanView, also display animated GIFs according to IE's incorrect implementation (at least, last I checked). The reason Microsoft originally adopted this process was to compensate for people who created animated GIFs without a delay between frames set, so they throttled all GIFs to a maximum framerate, regardless of whether you want it to or not.

Mozilla finally shed this practice with version 0.9. I went through and corrected the affected smilies for DVD Talk back then, so you don't notice it here. Now we can actually view smooth animated GIFs (film clips, for example).

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 08-06-05 at 12:51 PM.