Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Am I screwed?

Old 08-01-05, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I screwed?

I installed a Seagate SATA 250GB HD about a month ago. Today, while I was transferring files from my primary drive to the new drive, I got an error message stating that it could not copy the file and that the data is now lost. It said it could either be an error with the hardware or the network.

The files on my new HD still work, but I'm unable to transfer files onto the new HD. I ran the CHKDSK and it seems to stop at 84% each time when it is verfying file data.

I rebooted it and it still continues to run the CHKDSK. I tried F8 to boot with safe mode, but it's now stuck again.

What should I do???
Old 08-01-05, 08:50 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Since you were just copying instead of moving (right? I hope so) your files will still be on the original drive. That's not what I would call "screwed".

If this is the case, run Seagate's diagnostics on the drive and see if they report a failure.

If you were doing a move you need to backup the files from your new drive first.
Old 08-01-05, 09:06 PM

Thanks X. I could always count on you for a quick reply.

I'm not so much concerned about the data file that was lost, but whether or not my HD is messed up.

Everytime I reboot, it runs the CHKDSK automatically on the other HD. It won't even boot up on safe mode. I had to turn off the other HD in order to let the OS load up from the primary HD. My primary HD runs fine it seems.

With that said, I can't run the Seagate diagnostic tool. What are my other options? How do I instruct the computer not to run chkdsk on the other HD when it restarts?
Old 08-01-05, 09:08 PM
X
Administrator

There's a way to do that but I don't know how offhand. You could google for it.

You could always just disconnect the new drive.

There should be some Seagate diagnostics that run from a DOS boot or a floppy disk they provide. That would occur before the chkdsk tries to start.
Old 08-01-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My rule of thumb: If a drive starts giving me any trouble, it's got to go. I usually move the data off of it ASAP and don't trust it again. My data is too valuable to trust on flaky hardware. I've experienced three or four extremely painful HD crashes and data loss, and I never want to do that again.

- David Stein
Old 08-01-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could try to killdisk your drive if you're not concerned with the info being lost. This will totally erase any corrupt MBR records and such. I've had to do this a few times.
Old 08-01-05, 10:15 PM

Are the two drives the same size? I'm assuming (that's ass in assuming) that they may be different sizes. I've been told that with sata drives on a RAID controller, you will only be abloe to use the size of the smaller drive on the controller. So, if you have a new 300 drive, and your old one is 250, you would only be able to see 250 on both.
Old 08-01-05, 10:21 PM

I got the Seagate diagnostic tool to work. There's a bunch of bad sectors found on the HD

How does this happen? The HD was brand new, less than 1 month.

Unfortunately, I can't even access the HD anymore because I can't get pass the CHKDSK command.
Old 08-01-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
looks like it's warranty replacement time
any power outages while running lately? that could cause bad sectors as the heads might physically hit the platters
Old 08-01-05, 10:54 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fooman
I got the Seagate diagnostic tool to work. There's a bunch of bad sectors found on the HD

How does this happen? The HD was brand new, less than 1 month.

Unfortunately, I can't even access the HD anymore because I can't get pass the CHKDSK command.
Under 30 days, take it back to where you got it for a replacement.
Old 08-01-05, 11:17 PM

I can't get safemode with windows prompt to load up when I have the F: drive enabled.

if I turn off the F: drive via BIOS, safe mode runs fine. However, I'm unable to detect the drive obviously.

why would safe mode be dependent on the F: drive when my OS runs from my primary drive (C
Old 08-02-05, 06:33 AM

I searched via google about how to stop CHKDSK on boot, but all the articles were referring to stopping CHKDSK for the primary drive. I didn't find anything regarding stopping it on another drive. And since I have to turn off the drive in order for me to have a normal startup, it doesn't recognize the other drive when trying to stop chkdsk for that particular drive.

Anyway, I went to bed letting CHKDSK run to see if anything happens. It ran for about 5hours and it did NOT progressed pass 84% on Step 3. I know I have a 250GB HD, but I don't think it could take this long right? I figured it must have stalled again.

Also, after reading some articles, it seems that even if I have some bad sectors, it's possible that there are no data written on it. I'm thinking that the rest of the data can be salvaged if I can only get past the CHKDSK. That way I can have a normal startup where the computer can recognize the other drive. Is my thinking correct?
Old 08-02-05, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

couple of possible suggestions and questions:
1) run scandisk, defrag & virus check on the old drive before you try to copy
2) if the drive is over 185? gb you may need a pci controller card to realize the full potential of the new hd
3) are the harddrives formatted in ntfs or fat32? may be compatibility issue of not recognizing the drive formatted in opposing types. i am also assuming you are using xp

possible workaround:

hook up the brand new harddrive as single master, format the drive, reinstall fresh os...then change the jumpers to have new harddrive as master w/ slave attached (old harddrive) and selectively copy directories which you want to keep.

if all these fail the drive is kaput send it back for warranty service.
Old 08-02-05, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by dollfins1
couple of possible suggestions and questions:
1) run scandisk, defrag & virus check on the old drive before you try to copy
2) if the drive is over 185? gb you may need a pci controller card to realize the full potential of the new hd
3) are the harddrives formatted in ntfs or fat32? may be compatibility issue of not recognizing the drive formatted in opposing types. i am also assuming you are using xp

possible workaround:

hook up the brand new harddrive as single master, format the drive, reinstall fresh os...then change the jumpers to have new harddrive as master w/ slave attached (old harddrive) and selectively copy directories which you want to keep.

if all these fail the drive is kaput send it back for warranty service.
thanks for the suggestions. I am using XP and both drives (C and F) are NFTS. The last suggestion sounds feasible. I'll keep it in mind. There has to be an easier way to get rid of running chkdsk on the F: drive though?
Old 08-02-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk God

hit the space bar when its about to start running the chkdsk to skip
Old 08-02-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it that simple? I suggested CTRL-C, ALT-F4, ALT-X, CTRL-F4, and ESC. I didn't even know the spacebar could be used in CHKDSK. In the older versions of Windows with SCANDISK, there was a text-button that could be toggled to cancel the scan and spacebar worked there. Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully, it'll work and he'll be able to save the data.
Old 08-02-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If twikoff's suggestion does not work then go to the command prompt via Start>Run and type in

cmd
-Enter-
type (or copy, right click Paste) the following:
chkntfs /X F:
Hit -enter-

The /x swith tells chkdsk to skip a drive
The F: tells chkdsk which drive to skip at bootup.
Old 08-02-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
If twikoff's suggestion does not work then go to the command prompt via Start>Run and type in

cmd
-Enter-
type (or copy, right click Paste) the following:
chkntfs /X F:
Hit -enter-

The /x swith tells chkdsk to skip a drive
The F: tells chkdsk which drive to skip at bootup.
Will that work even if F drive is turned off in the BIOS? As is, he can only boot into the Windows OS (safe mode, or otherwise) when he turns off F drive in the BIOS.
Old 08-02-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by quietsoul
Will that work even if F drive is turned off in the BIOS? As is, he can only boot into the Windows OS (safe mode, or otherwise) when he turns off F drive in the BIOS.
No but he can disable the F: Drive in the BIOS and boot into Windows with only the C: drive, then run the chkntfs /X F: command
(Hopefully it won't give him an error saying there is no F: drive present)

Reboot, And set the F: drive to enabled in the BIOS and boot the System. Hopefully Chkdsk will skip the drive. See how "smart" Windows really is......

Also "Msconfig" may have an entry in it to run at startup. Autocheck, I believe is the entry.

In the Registry, the value is held at the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

ValueName is "BootExecute"
Default entry is autocheck autochk *
If he changes the entry to the above (autocheck autochk *) then NO Drives should have chkdsk run at startup.
Old 08-02-05, 11:07 PM

No but he can disable the F: Drive in the BIOS and boot into Windows with only the C: drive, then run the chkntfs /X F: command
(Hopefully it won't give him an error saying there is no F: drive present)

Reboot, And set the F: drive to enabled in the BIOS and boot the System. Hopefully Chkdsk will skip the drive. See how "smart" Windows really is......

Also "Msconfig" may have an entry in it to run at startup. Autocheck, I believe is the entry.

If he changes the entry to the above (autocheck autochk *) then NO Drives should have chkdsk run at startup.
I actually tried the first suggestion before and it didn't work. Once I turned off the F drive from the BIOS, the chkntfs /X F: command didn't work as the OS said no F drive existed.

I'm currently running the Seagate Diag Tool on the F drive and it's finding hundreds of bad sectors. I ran it since 5am this morning and it's still running. It's 11pm now. I didn't realize it can take this long. After it's complete, I'm going to do what you suggested and check the registry and hopefully that would solve the problem.

Thanks for your help...I'll keep checking until it's fixed.
Old 08-02-05, 11:49 PM
X
Administrator

Don't bother "fixing" it. Exchange it from where you bought it.
Old 08-03-05, 05:35 PM

I ran "regedit" and saw the annoying chkdsk command for F drive. I removed it and now I FINALLY have access to my F drive again. All my data looks intact! I'm going to back them up and now and send this HD back for a replacement. Thanks for all the help!!!! This place is the best!!

I have another question, more out of curiousity, when you "fix" a lot of bad sectors, does it mean you decrease the capacity of your HD too? Say,you had 250GB initally, but after fixing bad sectors, you are down to say 230GB (as an example) I'm assuming these bad sectors "were" potential space for storage right?

Last edited by Fooman; 08-03-05 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-03-05, 05:57 PM
X
Administrator

There are a certain number of sectors reserved to replace ones that are found bad. Generally they're only used when you do a low-level format.

When you format in Windows or DOS, the bad sectors come out of your total capacity, lowering the amount of available storage