Question on thumb drive and mp3's

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-01-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I am in the market for a thumbdrive.... I don't plan on using the sync capabilies, so the software that comes with isn't really a factor. I am just looking for something that has a built-in cap, or one that the lanyard attaches to the actual unit (i think it's to risky dangling it with the lanyard tied to the cap - it could fall)...I am looking for about 512 mb or so storage... I see a bunch at bestbuy, staples, office max, etc that fit these specs.....

Now, after all that blabbing, here's my question. Since i will be using my thumb drive on computers that are not mine (i can't install things, etc), i have one question.... Are there any small mp3 player programs out there (like wimamp, etc) that will self-execute and not have to be installed in order to play files? That is. If i toss some mp3's on the thumbdrive, and this program -- i want to be able to run the program to listen to the songs. Like i said i can't install anything -- and I don't want to have to depend on the PC i am using to have jukebox software already installed....

Thanks,

Matt!
Old 08-01-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

depending on how locked down the machine in.. you may not even have access to add the thumbdrive hardware
Old 08-01-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in the exact same boat as you are: jumpdrive without the ability to install.

I've been forced to use Windows Media Player. The computer(s) in question don't even have that??

BTW, there were at least three 512 drives on sale this week for about $30 after MIR between the stores you mentioned. Here's the one I use. No worry about this slipping off the keychain holder.

Old 08-01-05, 02:28 PM
Retired

For your first question, the Sandisk Cruiser Mini would fit your wants. It has the cap on one end and the lanyard string hooks to the opposite end. I've been using one for over a year with no problems.
Old 08-01-05, 03:12 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Media Player Classic can playback .mp3 natively and is a standalone .exe. it can read and save .pls and .m3u playlist files. (it's also heck of a media player in general).
Old 08-01-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?q=mp3&p=2
You might wanna check out billy (mp3 player)
Old 08-01-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
find an old version of winamp, like 2.xx
I have a Lexar jumpdrive, 256MB. Amazon had it on sale really cheap a while back. WinXP sees it with nothing needing to be installed
Old 08-01-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the flash drive I use:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...01&hdwt=0&sp=1

There's no cap at all, because the USB plug retracts into the metal body of the drive, like a utility knife blade. The lanyard attachment point is metal. You can pound on this thing with a hammer and not affect it.
Old 08-02-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey all,

Thanks for the responses..... Yea, I am sure that 99.9% of the computers i encounter would have WMP, but to play it safe, i thought i could get a cool little player that didn't need to be installed.... Also, my dad recently bought a adapter for his car that plugs into the cig. lighter socket, transmits .mp3's from the thumb drive to the radio via wireless FM transmitter, and has basic playback controls built onto the unit (play, forward, pause, etc). It was under $30 and works like a charm he said..... Cool....

Thanks again.....and any more info is great if you have it -- but i think you answered my question pretty well...

Oh yea, on win XP machines and win2000, you don't need to install drivers for these things... I know you need drivers for win98, which could be annoying if hopping from computer to computer..... i would think you wouldn't need anything installed.....but oh well, the ones i'll be using will be win2000....

Later,

Matt!

Last edited by KillerQ; 08-02-05 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-02-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On my work win2k machine they recently locked it down to the point you cant even use flash drives. Even though external drivers are not required the hardware must be installed for the flash drives to work. Just an FYI to not count on them working until you try it. I was lucky enough to get an admin type to install mine on my machine but thats not typical here. Oddly enough every time I insert the drive it goes through an install routine, fails due to not enough admin rights, and then works anyways?? Weird but at least it works.
Old 08-02-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by KillerQ
Oh yea, on win XP machines and win2000, you don't need to install drivers for these things... I know you need drivers for win98, which could be annoying if hopping from computer to computer..... i would think you wouldn't need anything installed.....but oh well, the ones i'll be using will be win2000....

Later,

Matt!
as mentioned by cseyer
its not a matter of needing to download drivers.. since they are provided by 2k and xp
if the machines are locked down, you cant add new hardware.. even if the drivers are already in the windows cab
we lock our machines down like that.. it requires administrator/root to log in once and allow the drive to be recognized and loaded.. Then after the first time, it works fine. (although, alot of those drives insist on mapping as the F: drive.. so there have been issues with people that had other drives already mapped as F: )
Old 08-05-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what's the point....?

Hello again,

Thanks for the info. Now, If I am the only one using my thumbdrive, how practical is the lock/unlock feature for writing? I can't really think of a situation? Well, I guess to prevent deleting -- that is, i could unlock it every single time i write something back to it -- and then lock it so nothing is accidentally erased -- but I still don't see a use. I'm just trying to figure out if the one I buy should have one....

Thanks,

Matt