Reload this Page >

DSL speed question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DSL speed question

Old 08-01-05, 12:31 PM
Retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSL speed question

I had some difficulty hooking up my Verizon DSL (1.5 MBPS plan), replaced the phone jacks and then figured out that my 2.4 ghz cordless phone was interfering with my dsl modem/wireless router (Westell Linksys 327W).

Serivce was great after that. Was getting 1300 or so KBPS at this speed test:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

and slightly slower (1100-1200) at the ones at dslreports.com.

Last night things slowed to a crawl (100 some kbps) and I just went to bed assuming it was a network problem. Things seem much better today, but still not as good as yesterday when I ran the speed test. Just got 671 KBPS in the above test.

My main question is are speed fluctuations like this typical with DSL? I'll probably call verizon after while (don't have time now as I'm on my way out the door) but wanted to see if anyone had any advice.

To help, I'm running XP home, the above router/modem plugged directly into the phone line (no splitters etc.). Only one phone in the house is in the other room and is ran on the splitter.

Phone wires are ran as follows. Outside line goes into the jack in the other room, and a second wire is hooked into it that runs into this room. Though I think that has nothing to do with it as I got the same speeds in the other room. I use I wireless phone jack in the other room as well to get the phone line to my Tivo, but unplugging them made no difference either.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-01-05, 02:14 PM
Retired

Back up to 1300 now. Only issue I'm having is the modem is interfering with my phone (whether i try wired or 900mhz cordless). Get static and feedback, turn it off and it goes away.

But I can live with that as I don't use the landline much, and can just turn off the modem when I need to use it. As long as the speeds stay up more I'll probably stick with it.

If not I'll think about ditching it and getting Comcast internet as much as I hate to. Price is about the same as local phone and DSL to get it without having cable tv.
Old 08-01-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you put DSL filters on all your other phone jacks? Your install kit should have come with 3 or 4 of them. They cut out the static of the DSL from the phones and keep the phones from interfering with the DSL. I'm not sure what impact they would have on a wireless jack or regular (tivo) modem.

Also, you should be able to get 3mbps for the same price as 1.5mbps, unless you are too far from the CO. which they can check or you can look up an estimate on DSLreports.com. Although I think it requires a 1 year contract, so I would make sure you get this problem sorted out and use the service for a while to make sure you are happy with it. I've had Verizon DSL for almost 2 years and rarely have a problem. Unlike Cable, Speeds are very consistent.
Old 08-01-05, 04:38 PM
Retired

Yeah, only one other phone jack, I have the filter on it, and run that line to the wireless phone jack.

Speeds have been fine since this afternoon, only problem I'm having is random disconnects where I lose dsl signal for a few seconds or so. I've been googling and think it may have to do with having a low noise margin. From my modem/router stats mine is usually 4.5 to 5 when it should be at least 6 to be stable (and 8 or higher preferably).

Will have to experiment so more before my 30 days trial period (before I get locked into the year contract) is up and give them a call if I can't get it straightened out.

I'm pretty sure I'm outside the distance for 3.0. It should have came up when I ordered now as that's how it's listed on the website. The DSLreport thing put me at 12,000 some feet from the CO, from reading the forums under 11,000 is the cut off for the 3.0 upgrade.

BTW, according to posts on dslreports, the CSRs can no longer give you your distance from the CO as it's no longer on their screen, but rather just an idicator showing whether you are eligible or not.
Old 08-01-05, 04:45 PM
Retired

Well, tried pluging the phone into the filter and unplugging the wireless phone jacks, and my speed jumped up to 1792 and my noise Db to 6.5. Will have to keep checking to see if that was the cause or just a coincidence.
Old 08-01-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, First thing is that you probably shouldn't use the wireless jack. Make sure you have all the filters installed correctly and that the phone line going from the dsl modem to the wall jack is under 14 feet. The dsl signal will degrade over that. Otherwise I don't think the speed going up when you unplugged the wireless jack was a fluke. You should just use the actual hardwired jacks as the wireless ones can interfere with the modem and not get a dsl signal through them too well.
Old 08-02-05, 12:49 AM

you might want to replace the main phone line, it could be old wire. Also you should get a data line from your phone company over a voice line.
Old 08-02-05, 11:28 AM
Retired

The speed was the same with the wireless jack in or out in further tests, the noise margin just increased, which was good, but it dropped back down later witht the wirless jacks stil unplugged. Nonetheless I'll leave it unhooked.

It has been working better, just getting a few random disconnects (lose signal for 10 seconds or so everyonce in a while) but the speeds have been staying around 1300kbps now.

The major issue now is I"m getting noise on my phone line. Tried different phones and filters. Sometimes it goes away when I turn off the modem, sometimes it doesn't. Though it's always worse with the modem on.

I'll give them a call this evening if I get a chance. Otherwise I'll keep experimenting for another week or so and if it doesn't improve I'll probably just cancel it, and may cancel the local phone as well since I don't use it much and just get the standalone comcast internet for $60 or whatever.

Replacing wiring and what not really isn't an options since I live in an apartment and don't have my own outside box that I have access to and what not. I don't want to expend a ton of energy on it anyway since I'm being forced to move in 6 months (they're remodelling all the apartments and increasing rent, have to either tranfer to a more expensive already rennovated one or move out totally).

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 08-02-05 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-02-05, 12:09 PM
Retired

I just realized that I was getting the intermittent static starting last wednesday, two days before my DSL was turned on. Slipped my mind in my focus over DSL.

Just put in a repair request to have them come check the outside lines on thursday to see if it's a problem on their end. I figure it is since I've tried different phones, replaced both the phone jacks in my apt, etc.
Old 08-02-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have DSL in Columbia, and I have the same problem - static on the landline, even with the filters installed. I've learned to live with it.
Old 08-02-05, 02:38 PM
Retired

I'll consider that, if the intermittent disconnects on the dsl stop as well.

I'm hoping that some of the static (i.e. the static that doesn't go away when I turn of the modem) is due to the storms we had last week as I didn't have static on the phone before and that it's on their end. If that's the case it could be why my magin Db is low and giving me an unstable connection.
Old 08-02-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did the static appear 2 days before the DSL was turned on, or 2 days before your official "acitivation date"? It's very possible they turned on the DSL early. I was able to hook up my modem as soon as it arrived, which was 3-4 days before my activation date.
Old 08-02-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had Verizon DSL for almost three years now (768k plan, all I can get here ) and they've been very consistant with staying at the max speed for me.
Old 08-02-05, 08:32 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by wmansir
Did the static appear 2 days before the DSL was turned on, or 2 days before your official "acitivation date"? It's very possible they turned on the DSL early. I was able to hook up my modem as soon as it arrived, which was 3-4 days before my activation date.

Static started on July 27. I got the e-mail and phone call saying my dsl was ready on the 29th. My official service ready date they'd e-mailed to me prior was Aug. 1.

So I guess we'll see, can't hurt to have them check their lines given that static started a few hours after the worst storm of the year. If that doesn't help it I'll just see how it works over the next couple weeks (mainly in terms of random dsl disconnections) and decide. I'll have to be pretty happy with it to sign on for a year.

If not I'll just debate on going back to dial up for a while (i.e. until my direcTV deal is up and I've gotten moved in Feb) or getting comcast stand-alone internet.
Old 08-02-05, 08:53 PM
Retired

Man, getting horrible disconnects now, every couple of minutes (or less) it loses signal for 10-20 seconds and pops back.

I really hope there's outside noise on the phone lines causing the problem and they can get it fixed. I hate the thought of going back to dial-up or paying comcasts exorbiant price.
Old 08-03-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My static was occurring before the storms.
Old 08-03-05, 11:17 AM
Retired

Mine may well be DSL related, perhaps it was turned on 2 days before they called and sent the e-mail.

If so it's definitely getting cancelled and I'll never consider DSL in the future.

Also seems like my speed and stability is much better in the day time and crap in the evening/night, though it could just be coincidental as I'm not home often to check it during the day.
Old 08-03-05, 11:34 AM
Retired

Found a thread on dslreports with others in the DC area having disconnect and slow speed problems lately, so could be a verizon network issue as well. Oddly enough there's a thread in the comcast hsi forum their bitching about slow speeds and disconnects in the MD and DC area. Guess there's not good option for broadband here at the moment.
Old 08-04-05, 11:03 AM
Retired

Well, they came and tested my line yesterday and found that it worked properly. BUT they hooked the wrong line up so now I have someone elses phone number and someone else has mine so they have to come back out today and fix that.

No static on this other guys line, so I know the static is totally DSL related. At least I know my inside wiring is ok.

So I guess when they get it back right, I'll test the DSL and phones for a couple more days and if I'm still getting the speed slow downs, disconnects and severe static on the phoen even with the modem is off I'll just cancel it and go back to dial up for 6 months until my DirecTV contract is up and then I'll consider switching to cable and getting cable internet. I just can't see paying $75 for 4 mbps standalone HSI from them when you can get teh 6 mbps plan and digitial cable for less than that with specials and can threaten to switch to dish and usually the the specials extended indefinitely.
Old 08-04-05, 11:15 PM
Retired

Well they got my lines uncrossed. No static on the phone now, even with the dsl on and connected!!!. Guess a wire must have been loose or something.

Also, as I said above, I figured the low noise (margin) Db which had been 4.5 before was the culprit for my random disconnects, now it's up to 14.0.

Speeds are slightly slow at the moment, getting around 719 down. But previously the few times it was working ok I was getting 1300 in the morning/afternoon and 700-800 at this time, so maybe it's just net congestion. Will track that for a few days and see if that's the case.
Old 08-05-05, 12:25 AM
Retired

Getting 1492 down now.
Old 08-05-05, 10:51 AM
Retired

And just got 1496 now at about 11 am est, so hopefully the slower nightime speeds were just internet congestion and everything is FINALLY ok.
Old 08-07-05, 11:44 AM
Retired

Looks like the slow down mentioned above was a verizon problem. Found a thread in the dslreports forums where several people in the region were having the same problem (nightly slow downs last week).

I've been getting solid 1490's in speed tests the past two days both day and night. And still not static or modem disconnects since the tech got my line checked and uncrossed.

So hopefully my DSL is good to go finally. **knocks on wood**
Old 08-07-05, 01:49 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Ok, First thing is that you probably shouldn't use the wireless jack.
I hooked up my wireless jack for my tivo again in the other room on the non-modem phone jack, and it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

Guess it was totally a problem at my outside box. So I guess the theme for anyone having problems who finds this thread of me taking to myself ....is if everything seems fine inside (filters in place, put in new phone jacks, etc.) and you still have noise on phones and random disconnects on the DSL, check you ouside NID if you have a house and call verizon to check the connection their if you live in an apartment.
Old 08-07-05, 09:40 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Looks like the slow down mentioned above was a verizon problem. Found a thread in the dslreports forums where several people in the region were having the same problem (nightly slow downs last week).

I've been getting solid 1490's in speed tests the past two days both day and night. And still not static or modem disconnects since the tech got my line checked and uncrossed.

So hopefully my DSL is good to go finally. **knocks on wood**
Well, knocking on wood didn't work. Speed was chopped in half from 1400 to around 700 kbps at around 8:30 eastern and is still down there an hour or so later.

**sigh**

Hope they get whatever is causing these night time slowdowns fixed soon.

I wonder if it has anything to do with their FIOS installation. Maybe they do some work in the Central Office from 8-11 pm or so. At least a possibility as they are putting up FIOS cables around town here and seems like in most of the towns people were experience similar problems in on the DSL reports board.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.