DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   What's firmware and how do I install it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/432514-whats-firmware-how-do-i-install.html)

dick_grayson 07-31-05 03:51 PM

What's firmware and how do I install it?

I keep seeing threads about firmware updates and so on. I looked around and see that the software most appliances or stereos or whatever run on this firmware. Anyway, my Sony receiver has been bojanglin' for a few years and think maybe reinstalling the firmware could work to fix it.

Anyway, how I install it and where do I get it from? Is it going to make a difference? Also, is this going to be par for the course from now on regarding stereo equipment? Buy it and then let them get out the kinks and update the firmware every so often? Thanks for the help and keep in mind that I'm quite the newb when it comes to this stuff, so be gentle.

68ShelbyGT500KR 07-31-05 04:11 PM

Firmware

Updating firmare can be via software, a CD-R, etc....It depends on what the the firmware update says to do. My BIOS for my computer is done via Flashing through the AWARD program. My standalone DVD player can be done via a CD-R. My DVD Burner on the PC is done via software. It updates the "table" of blank CD's and DVD's that is will support (the speed and/or the media code).

Failure to update the Hardware can render it useless. So, you must read the instrcutions carefully and decide if you really need to update the Firmware to achive your goals.

You MUST use the exact firmware update for the exact make/model of the hardware!!!!!

X 07-31-05 04:11 PM

You generally update firmware by running a program that uploads the firmware (software code) to an erasable memory chip (hardware) in the device.

With components on a computer like the motherboard's BIOS and DVD drives you either run the program on your PC or boot to a floppy or CD that contains the new software.

With devices such as standalone DVD players you generally just insert a CD with the new software. Things like a receiver generally need a connection (serial or usb) to a computer to upload the new software.

runner001 07-31-05 04:12 PM

I wouldn't classify myself as a "newbie" but I'm no pro either. As far as my experiences go, I have not heard of updating firmware on stuff like stereo equipment, DVD players, appliances, etc. Firmware is typically for computer software/hardware to help the two communicate.

shaun3000 07-31-05 04:19 PM

Almost all digital hardware, especially something that has a CPU, will have some sort of firmware. Digital recievers, calculators, DVD players, HDTVs, etc., nearly every piece of electronic equipment made today contains a microprocessor and firmware, which contains the instructions for that piece of equipment.

In some cases, like a router or digital camera, this can be upgraded, usually quite easily. In others, such as a TV or DVD player, it has to be done at a repair center or can't be upgraded, at all. FOr example, a newer version of a Playstation might have newer firmware but they usually change the hardware as the production goes on as newer, cheaper ways of manufacturing it are discovered. So even though it has a newer firmware, it probably won't work with the older models as the hardware is not the same.

Got it?

X 07-31-05 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by runner001
I wouldn't classify myself as a "newbie" but I'm no pro either. As far as my experiences go, I have not heard of updating firmware on stuff like stereo equipment, DVD players, appliances, etc. Firmware is typically for computer software/hardware to help the two communicate.

Firmware upgrades done through software are quite common now on DVD players and becoming more common on receivers.

Sometimes a socketed chip needs to be replaced. But it's much simpler now than in the old days when you used to have to erase the EEPROM that held the code with a UV light and reprogram the chip with a hardware programmer.

TheKobra 07-31-05 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Almost all digital hardware, especially something that has a CPU, will have some sort of firmware. Digital recievers, calculators, DVD players, HDTVs, etc., nearly every piece of electronic equipment made today contains a microprocessor and firmware, which contains the instructions for that piece of equipment.

Got it?

This is true. My Sony DA5ES receiver needed to have the firware updated via serial cable and was simple.