Reload this Page >

Windows crashed, everything lost...need suggestions

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-31-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, my windows XP sp2 crashed, and we lost everything (school work, papers, lectures, mp3s, pics, you name it...).

So, my question is this. I get to start from scratch with everything. I've already re-installed Norton and updating Windows completely. (Suffice to say, following this crash I hope to not own an MS operating system again for a while)

Thanks for any info/help y'all can offer. I appreciate it.
Old 07-31-05, 12:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

Unless the disk is damaged, you didn't lose everything. If its contents are extremely valuable to you, DON'T INSTALL ANYTHING FOR NOW. Oh poop, it looks like you already did. Nevermind...

I'm not sure what suggestions you are looking for. BTW, what does "Windows crashed" actually entail?
Old 07-31-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I had Konfabulator installed, and I tried to run it the other night. (I'm not blaming Konfabulator, it's just the last program I ran.) It wouldn't run, so I left it alone. I went to bed, and then I got up the next morning. Nothing going, so we manually restarted the computer. Upon a restart I got a blue screen saying, "unmountable_boot_volume" It didn't sound good, but unfortunately I had no access to another PC to investigate on my own. In my own haste I called Dell (whom we purchased our computer from) and they helped me run some diagnostics. HD was okay, so I talked to a software tech. We worked on it through the phone.

Multiple attempts to restart kept giving me the screen saying, "Windows shut down to prevent damage to your system." I had a few options, such as Safe Mode, last known good configuration, or restart normally. I tried all of the possiblities, and I kept getting the same screen.

After 126 minutes on the phone with Dell (whose customer service was decent at best) we had to reformat our whole computer.

I'm sure there was something better that could have been done, but this was my first experience with such an issue. Oh, well. It's practically all gone now.

Thanks for "listening".
Old 07-31-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that is odd. never lost anything that didn't involve a hardware failure. unless you let your system get a virus or something.

no matter the operating system, regular backups are smart.
Old 07-31-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I've learned that the hard way. I'm not sure what it could've been I always have Norton on, and I run regular checks with Adaware and Spybot. But there's nothing to dwell on now.
Old 07-31-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
For the future - you DO find another computer that boots, then install your 'bad' drive as a slave drive.

Remove all your files from it to a cd or dvd, THEN reformat.

Sorry you didn't have this answer for this time.
Old 07-31-05, 01:28 PM
Mod Emeritus

I would even better recommend buying an external enclosure for a HDD and getting a 40GB HDD to put in it (cheap & will do the trick), you will be able to use it for backups very nicely. Then if it ever happens again, you can pop in the "weird acting" one, and put it in someone else's machine to get the files back that you need. Much less fuss & muss.
Old 07-31-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Try here: Unmountable_Boot_Volume

Recovery Console
Old 07-31-05, 08:19 PM

I got the same error message a couple of weeks ago and all it required me to do was reinstall the boot sectors with my Windows XP cd and the recovery console. Took me about 20-30 minutes tops.
Old 07-31-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As a safety minimium I would download and burn a copy of Knoppix or another 'live' linux CD. Even as a complete novice it should allow you to get to your data. Booting off the CD will put you in a windows-like enviroment where you can then burn/copy/upload your important data before overwriting the system.
Old 07-31-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To my knowledge (and according to the Dell rep) all the data is gone since I reformatted. I don't have the time or the money right now to try to salvage it all, but in a few weeks I'll be able to (if it's at all possible).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ben
Old 07-31-05, 11:20 PM

This happened to me also, i download the following program and was able to recover several important files.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...RSS,RSS,00.asp
Old 08-01-05, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
if the dells are like sonys, and they probably are, there is no recovery console since they don't come with a true xp cd but more of a ghost image and a special program to ghost the HD from the cd
Old 08-01-05, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had the same problem with the desktop in my office,called the tech support and they gave me a lot of ideas and we did a lot of thing.Could not get Win XP to work.Took out the HDD and copied the data into another machine and formatted the whole drive.There is no hope in trusting the Windows Recovery when the damage is that big
Old 08-01-05, 05:34 AM
lxl

do yourself a favor, get a livecd.

linux flavor:
http://www.gnoppix.org/
or windows flavor:
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

so next time if your computer won't bootup, at least you can bootup from livecd.
Old 08-01-05, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by reubs82
To my knowledge (and according to the Dell rep) all the data is gone since I reformatted. I don't have the time or the money right now to try to salvage it all, but in a few weeks I'll be able to (if it's at all possible).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ben
your data is still there after a format, unless you did low level and wrote zeroes to the drive (and really, its still there then, jusr much harder to access), which Im sure you didnt
Old 08-01-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
As a safety minimium I would download and burn a copy of Knoppix or another 'live' linux CD. Even as a complete novice it should allow you to get to your data. Booting off the CD will put you in a windows-like enviroment where you can then burn/copy/upload your important data before overwriting the system.
agreed. this will save your bacon on numerous occasions.

kms
Old 08-01-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lxl
do yourself a favor, get a livecd.

linux flavor:
http://www.gnoppix.org/
or windows flavor:
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

so next time if your computer won't bootup, at least you can bootup from livecd.
thanks for the heads up on the BartPE.

kms
Old 08-01-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
didn't know there were any windows based live cds
cool
Knoppix will read NTFS so even though it is linux it can be used with windows systems
guide to using knoppix to recover stuff from windows
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
Old 08-01-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best advice I ever received when I knew absolutely nothing (which was not that long ago), was to buy a 2nd hard drive and install an OS on it when your main drive went poopy. This won't help you now, but do buy another drive.
Old 08-02-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have three hard drives connected to my current system. The master and slave(150 gigs a pop) and a external usb (200 gigs). I try to not keep anything terribly crucial on the master drive (just things like settings and active torrents and such) and use my other drives as the storage.

Redundancy is the mad shiznits.