Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Strange Mac iBook OS 9.1 Internet Explorer problem...help?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-31-05, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some insight on what I can do here. Let me 1) describe the issue, 2) describe what I have tried.

1) My sister has an old (about 5 yrs now) iBook. The iBook connects via ethernet to a wireless router. Recently, my sister has been having problems connecting to Yahoo! Mail, Yahoo! Games, bascially anything Yahoo! related (with the exception of its main page). The problem is that it takes several minutes before the requested page loads.

My Compaq notebook (running XP SP2) is connected on the same network via a Linksys wireless B router and connects without the same issues.

2) I swapped out the wireless router (recent upgrade) and replaced the old wired Linksys router but the problem is still there. I had her delete and remove internet files. I had her uninstall and reinstall IE (ver 5.1), reboot. Each step still experienced the same problem. I had her open netscape (ver 7.0) and try it. THERE IS NO PROBLEM USING NETSCAPE!

Again, my laptop is connected to the same network (via wireless), and old desktop running win98 (via wireless) both do not experience this issue. She claims it only happens when visiting.

Okay, of course you would say, "just use netscape then"! Her problem is this: she can't access Yahoo! Games using Netscape (says "we are not able to authenticate your yahoo id") but she CAN access Yahoo! Games using IE (it takes about 2 - 3 min to load each yahoo page).

Help?
Old 07-31-05, 11:13 AM

java update maybe?
Old 07-31-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

can you provide a link? you are referring to a java update for the mac for IE, right?
Old 07-31-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*BUMP*

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-31-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Delete her cookies. Clear her cache.

If that doesn't work, get a new computer with OS X.
Old 07-31-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks breakfast with girls. I did ask her to do both. the problem is still there. i did suggest her to get a new computer, but with three kids, she's got other items that have priority.

any other suggestions, please share 'em
Old 08-02-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run into this pretty often (but not always) trying to access Yahoo! Mail under OS 9 and Internet Explorer as well, and have yet to find a fix. I'm running the most recent version of each, OS 9.2.2 and IE 5.1.7, so I doubt that updating will solve the issue.

Netscape isn't the only other option...give Mozilla or iCab a shot. (I haven't tested either, however.)

You might consider upgrading it to OS X anyway. She's already used to things taking forever to load.

Last edited by printerati; 08-02-05 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-02-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have OSX on an original iBook the orange one with the huge 3gb hard drive. It is slow but I did upgrade the ram to 160 and it does ok.
Old 08-03-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Strange, my sister is having the same problem with yahoo!. It is slow to load anything on that site, but once she leaves yahoo! everything is fine. The kicker... she is on a Compaq Laptop with XP or 2000, can't remember which.

I need to install firefox for her and see if that changes things.
Old 08-03-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

printerati, I recently had her try mozilla and the issue is the same regarding Yahoo! Mail and Games. AS Michael says, everything is fine when you leave Yahoo! though. Again, it can't be a problem specifically with Yahoo! since two other PCs are on the same network and connect just fine.

BidDaddy, how much did it cost to upgrade to OSX (I assume its not much different to use than 9.X and she won't lose her data upgrading)? Also, how much for the upgrade in RAM?

much thanks for the replies!
Old 08-03-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by runner001
printerati, I recently had her try mozilla and the issue is the same regarding Yahoo! Mail and Games. AS Michael says, everything is fine when you leave Yahoo! though. Again, it can't be a problem specifically with Yahoo! since two other PCs are on the same network and connect just fine.

BidDaddy, how much did it cost to upgrade to OSX (I assume its not much different to use than 9.X and she won't lose her data upgrading)? Also, how much for the upgrade in RAM?
I feared Mozilla might exhibit the same behavior since it's based (in part) on Netscape. I would give iCab 2.9.8 a try before you consider anything else. You can download it here. Opera may be another option, which you can download here.

If neither of you have any experience with OS X, it might not be a very smooth transition. It's considerably different from OS 9 in some ways, and pretty similar in others. I'm not sure what she uses the iBook for, but she may have issues getting some of her OS 9 programs to run under X.

It's a bit jarring (and frustrating) at first, but it's worth it in the long haul, especially if she plans on getting a newer Mac someday. You can always keep both OS 9 and OS X on the same hard drive, though, which will allow her to boot into whichever one she wants.

I would probably look into an older version of OS X (10.3 can be had for under $50, and 10.2 can be had for under $20...anything older is troublesome at best), since having her system completely up to date doesn't appear to be a priority for her.

Last edited by printerati; 08-03-05 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by runner001

much thanks for the replies!
My wife is a Teacher and we got a copy for free. Otherwise I think it is like 129 or so. I would not think she would loose anything with the upgrade. The other option is to just get a new ibook for 999 or less if the student discount with 512 ram and airport built in.