Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Please help get this DSL running

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-30-05, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supposedly my new SBC DSL connection went live yesterday. So far I've spent literally about 6 hours trying to get it to work. According to SBC, they are able to communicate with the modem on their end. It's the 2Wire 1800HG. The power light and local network light will be solid green. The broadband link light is sometimes flashing green and sometimes solid orange. The local area connection will say "acquiring network address" for awhile and then switch to "limited or no connectivity" with the taskbar icon showing a yellow triangle.

I don't know what that indicates, but my converstations with SBC tech support ended with them passing the buck. I "need to contact my computer manufacturer." I am running a Dell Inspiron 8500 with XP. The first guy I talked to also gave me a MS bulletin #884020. This seems to be the recommended fix according to various sites from a google search, but as far as I can tell it didn't do anything so I went back to the restore point.

The first guy I got at Dell was actually very understandable, but he put me on hold forever and I think we were disconnected. The second guy I could barely understand at all. For an hour and a half or so, he took me through every reload under the sun, many of which seemed to make no sense at all. The eventual conclusion he reached was that I have to reload the operating system because of something to do with "a conflict between my wireless card (Intel 2200BG) and network card. Whatever. That's a little scary to me since I've never done it, but I'm don't buy that as a solution anyway. Hopefully someone here has some suggestions before I go crazy on some of these techs. Thanks
Old 07-30-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My advice. Get rid of their software, and let Windows establish a connection--meaning you'll have to set one up.

Also, you could have a bad DSL filter on the line. Replace it and see if this may help.

Go here for specific advice on your modem:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/2wire
Old 07-31-05, 03:44 PM
Retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed verizon DSL and had a good bit of problems. I think I have it ironed out now (knocks on would).

Wasn't connecting much at all and was slow. Replaced both the phone jacks in my apartment (the wiring hooking into them was bad, stripped it back further).

Then I was getting good speeds (1.3 or so out of 1.5 max), but was getting intermittent loss of connection. Read on the verizon site that 2.4 ghz phones can cause this with my modem, unhooked that phone and have been staying connected and getting good speeds.

Don't know if either of those will help you, but it's worth checking out. Especially if you have a 2.4 ghz phone as it only takes a second to unplug it from phone line and power.

Some other things to check:

-if the phone line to the dsl modem is going through a splitter and/or phone line surge protector, try plugging a line directly from the modem to the phone jack.

-make sure the phone line going to the dsl modem is NOT going through a DSL filter.