Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Is There A Program To "Compress" My Mp3's?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-30-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got about 1000 songs I want to transfer from my computer to my laptop.....problem is I thought my 256 usb would hold 60-65 songs..assuming each song is about 4-5mbs each but when I tried transfering it, it only would hold about 12-15 songs and they were each only about 5 mbs...so I shoulde still been able to put at least 40 songs on it. I was hoping that the USB drive would be quick enough b/c I dont' want to go and buy a firewire or usb cable just to transfer the songs.

So my question is there a program that allows you to convert or compress your mp3s so you can fit large amounts of MP3's onto a USB drive? Thanks.
Old 07-30-05, 01:29 AM
Suspended

MP3 is already a compressed format. You can't shrink them much further at all. The only way to make them significantly smaller would be to reencode them at a lower bitrate, but that would destroy the sound quality.
Old 07-30-05, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're saying the USB drive would only hold around 15 songs @ 5MB a piece, when it's a 256MB capacity? Sounds odd. May not be a compression issue?
Old 07-30-05, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It sounds like there is something wrong with your USB drive. But you can buy a USB cable for $5 or less, or you can use re-writable CDs or DVDs.