Reload this Page >

Help installing a new graphic card

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-29-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 5 desktop last week and I requested the upgraded Video card that Dell offers which is the 256MB PCI ExpressTM x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI RadeonTM 850 XT Platinum Edition.

However, when I received my computer, I found out that Dell had installed the 256MB PCI ExpressTM x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) NVIDIA® GeForceTM 6800 instead.

Dell is forwarding the new graphic card next week, so that's no problem however, I need assistance in removing the current card and installing the new one. The Dell booklet offers some insight on how to do the switch but is not very clear. I have no experience in removing and installing hardware from computers. Will it be easy for me to do the installation myself?

If I go ahead and installed it myself, do I have to remove the current video card driver before physically removing the card from the computer?

I'll appreciate any comments/advice you can give me in this matter.
Old 07-29-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would hope you will get some instructions with the ATI card if not you might try there web site. They would probably have the manual for downloading (.PDF file) and that should have insturctions for installing.

It would be best when you are ready to install the ATI card to remove the drivers for the Nvidia card and then shut down and switch cards.
Old 07-29-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, you should remove the Nvidia driver/software first. You should also run Driver Cleaner to get rid of all the crap left behind after the uninstall. Other than that physically removing/replacing the card shouldn't be hard. Just remember that video cards, unlike PCI cards, usually have a little lock tab on the end that you have to release first. The card should slide right out after that.

BTW, good choice on the cards. Either one of those would serve you nicely in the gaming world.
Old 07-29-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-29-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, first uninstall all the nvidia drivers first. Restart your computer. Then use a registry cleaner. Clean out your registry of any driver software that may be remaining. I use Regseeker. I also manually remove any left over folder that might have been leftover after uninstalling the driver. I hate having leftover entries in my registry. But be sure you know what you are doing before you try this. Always back up your registry if you decide to do this. That way if you make a mistake, you can fix it. If you are not familiar with the workings of a registry, then don't even bother.

After doing that, you can remove the card. Remove the small screw holding the PCIE 6800 card in the slot. Then gently pull the video card from the slot. Don't yank on it. It might take a little more force, but be gentle. I also recommend touching something metal before touching your card, in order to release any built up static electricity. Static electricity can damage components such as this. After the card is removed, install the new card by pushing it into the slot. Sometimes you have to push one end in first, then push the card all the way in. Then put back the screw that hold's the card in place. Then start your computer up. It should recognize the new card. The computer may ask to install a driver. I ignore this. Go to the ATI site and install ATI's newest driver for your particular card. Follow it's installation instructions, and when complete, restart. You should be good to go.

My directions are based on my PC, which I built myself. These instructions should be similar for you. Although, your new card should come with instructions. Read those first before following my instructions. I'm not entirely familiar with the new Dell PC which you have.

Last edited by Terrell; 07-29-05 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-24-05, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After waiting for almost 3 weeks and calling Dell twice, I finally received my Graphics card.

Following the instructions that you guys posted below, I was able to install the card with no problem whatsoever.

Thank you.