Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Reformat and Restore Windows XP problems

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-26-05, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am trying to reformat and restore a computer because it was being killed by spyware and maybe some viruses. Basically, no matter what you did when the computer first started up and you clicked on start it would hang there forever. There was nothing needed on the computer so I decided to reformat and restore.

While installing windows it would come up as an error saying this file or whatnot can not be copied, press esc to skip. I had to do this quite a bit then I get to a point where it says that some files have been corrupted or whatever and to cancel press F3.

So what I am wondering is this a problem with the computer or what? If you guys dont have any suggestions I am going to call Microsoft but I am not thrilled about dealing with them.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like either/or the CD-ROM's laser is dirty or the XP Disk is scratched.

You can get a Boot Disk with CD-Rom Support and copy the entire contents of the i386 folder to the hard drive and run setup from the hard drive.

Copy to the Hard drive

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 07-26-05 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-27-05, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe the CD is damaged,i got that problem also and when I borrowed my friends CD to try it worked.Middle of the installation I would get that error!