Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Would a bad processor cause this problem?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-26-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an older, used AMD Athlon XP (socket A) processor on hand and decided to build a new system. I also had a brand new, in the box, Soyo Sy-KT600 Dragon Plus v2.0 Mobo already on hand as well. I ordered the needed parts from Tigerdirect.com.

I built the system this morning and it will not power up. I've checked the following components in another system:

RAM: Ultra 256MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz
Power Supply: 400w Powmax LP-6100X
HD: Maxtor 80gig set to cable select
DVD Drive: Pioneer (forgot model#) set to cable select
Processor Cooling Fan: OEM (came with processor)

All the above components work properly in my other system.

That leads me to think that the processor is dead. Would this cause the system to not even post beeps? It's just dead. The system will not show any signs of powering up. I've checked for a short in between the MB & case and that's not an issue. Checked all the cables including the power switch, reset, HD LED & Speaker connections as well. I've not swapped processors back & forth between systems as I really don't want to clean & reapply thermal grease if I don't have to.

I am in hopes that someone here can assist me. I am going to be using this system for a MAME arcade cabinet, so it dos not need to be a real powerhouse. If the processor is in fact dead, I need to find a deal on a replacement. I'd appreciate any deals that you know of.

Thanks!

Sonic

Last edited by Sonicflood; 07-26-05 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-26-05, 05:54 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Processors don't often "die". Is the power supply working? Does the drive turn?

If so, I would check that the memory was seated correctly. If so, I would take all the cards (except video) out of the motherboard and if that doesn't work, I would take the motherboard out of the case and see if it works that way.
Old 07-26-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery solved!

It is the power supply. One of the wires is coming out of the crimp connection in the ATX connector. I called Tigerdirect and another is on the way.

I guess it was "just right" when I tried it with my other system. Power is intermittent when I wiggle the wires in the connector.

Nothing like spending two hours swapping components!

Thanks X!

Sonic