Reload this Page >

Gmail problems - help

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Gmail problems - help

Old 07-26-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gmail problems - help

I have had server errors left and right today, yet nobody else seems to be having them. These errors appear to be coming from Gmail's side, but again, nobody else I know seems to have them. I can't log in at all.

I have tried clearing my cache, cookies, running adaware, spybot, and nothing is helping. I NEED my email, and this is killing me. Any help or ideas anyone can offer would be much appreciated.
Old 07-26-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you going to gmail.com or gmail.google.com ? Try both. My link is: http://gmail.google.com/gmail

But I used to just go to gmail.com until it stopped working. To clarify, can you get to the site but just not log in, or not get to the site at all?
Old 07-26-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was able to check it this morning. You might try gmail lite if you cannot get in.
Old 07-26-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk God

what os?
if 2k/xp

just for the hell of it try:
Start... Run... cmd
then from command prompt type: ipconfig /flushdns

and try again
Old 07-26-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I was experiencing delays last week. Like 2 hours getting to a recipient. Very odd.
Old 07-26-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well, it seems to be working this morning. steve, I tried just about every link, secure and non-secure. None worked. I could often get to the log-in site (but not always), but couldn't log in.

BigDaddy, can you explain gmail lite?

Thanks, got my fingers crossed that it will keep working, having it down for 24 hours was extremely tough.
Old 07-26-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
what os?
if 2k/xp

just for the hell of it try:
Start... Run... cmd
then from command prompt type: ipconfig /flushdns

and try again
I tried that one too. Nothing worked. From all indications, it was a server problem on their end, but I have no idea why it didn't affect more people. I found some forums where it appears others had similar issues in the past, but yet there are some people who have never had gmail outages...

But it still appears to be working, fingers are crossed...
Old 07-26-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stevevt
Are you going to gmail.com or gmail.google.com ? Try both. My link is: http://gmail.google.com/gmail

But I used to just go to gmail.com until it stopped working. To clarify, can you get to the site but just not log in, or not get to the site at all?
Doesn't gmail.com take you to gmail.google.com automatically? I am using gmail.com to log in but it then redirects you to gmail.google.com when it displays your in-box.
Old 07-26-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by yashan
Doesn't gmail.com take you to gmail.google.com automatically? I am using gmail.com to log in but it then redirects you to gmail.google.com when it displays your in-box.
Yeah. It used to, then stopped doing it briefly a while back -- at which point I changed the target for my bookmark -- then apparently started working again.
Old 07-27-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
well, it seems to be working this morning. steve, I tried just about every link, secure and non-secure. None worked. I could often get to the log-in site (but not always), but couldn't log in.

BigDaddy, can you explain gmail lite?

Thanks, got my fingers crossed that it will keep working, having it down for 24 hours was extremely tough.
Do a search on google for gmail lite. I am able to check my gmail account from work with it. I am not sure how it works or how secure it is but it works with any browser. It also works with the PSP.
Old 07-27-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Did you try using Outlook/Eudora/Outlook Express/etc to get your email via POP3?