Reload this Page >

"limited or no connectivity" in xp

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-25-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

running win xp on 2 comps (desktop and laptop) through a wireless router to cable modem... all of the sudden, my desktop comp can;t connect to the internet and shows "little or no connectivity".. i tried connecting the desktop directly to the cable modem and still get the same problem..the laptop works fine... i did a few searches on the net, but didn't come up with much... i'm running xp sp2
Old 07-26-05, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like the Network card in your desktop is going bad. Especially if the laptop stays online when this happens.
Old 07-26-05, 10:19 AM

1. Shut everything down (2 computers, router, and cable modem). Then turn on the cable modem and wait 2 minutes. Connect the router to the cable modem and turn it on and wait 2 minutes. Connect the desktop to the router. Turn on the desktop and see if you can get online. Then turn on the laptop and see if both pcs can get online.

If that doesn't work then:

2. Uninstall the network card drivers and re-install them. Could be a driver issue.

If that doesn't work:

3. Install the network card into another PCI slot (I'm assuming that you have a PCI network card and not a built in one. If built in then skip this and go to number 4). The PCI slot might be going bad.

If that doesn't work then:

4. run ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew from the command prompt (start--> run --> cmd) on the desktop and see if that helps. Could be some type of internal IP conflict.

If those don't work then it could be a hardware failure.