Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Which firewall & anti-virus for me?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-25-05, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently run AVG anti-virus and Sygate firewall (free edition).

Cablevision offers EZ anti-virus and EZ firewall to their customers (which I am one of).

Are their any opinions on whether I should switch to the EZ products?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use Zonelabs products for both. Their Firewall is free and the Anti-virus is $20 or $30 a year, I don't remember. But they're both very nice programs that run quietly in the background without sucking up huge amounts of system resources. I've used McAfee and Norton and always had crashing problems with other programs. Never had a single problem with Zonelabs.

www.zonelabs.com
Old 07-25-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not familiar with the EZ products, but I switched from AVG to Avast! (free) a few months ago and I like it better. Compared to AVG it seems less crippled and less obtrusive when running.

The only major limitation is the lack of full system scan scheduling, but you can set up Windows scheduler to peform disk scans, though with less options than AVG. AVG's free version scheduler is locked at 1 scan a day, which only allows you to adjust the time of day it runs. In conjunction with realtime scanning that's overkill for me.
Old 07-25-05, 03:03 PM

i'm currently using the avast! home version anti-virus program and am happy with it.
avast!
Old 07-25-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
I use Zonelabs products for both. Their Firewall is free and the Anti-virus is $20 or $30 a year, I don't remember. But they're both very nice programs that run quietly in the background without sucking up huge amounts of system resources. I've used McAfee and Norton and always had crashing problems with other programs. Never had a single problem with Zonelabs.

www.zonelabs.com
I use Zonelabs for both. I downloaded Zonealarm and they sent me a coupon or offer for -5.00 the regular price of 24.95 or so for Zonealarm with Antivirus. When my free time for Norton antivirus that came with the computer was up I had to look for the email and it was still good. I was so glad to get Norton off my system as my new system ran better than when it came out of the box.
Old 07-25-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My personal favorite combination is Zonealarm and Norton. I get norton free after rebates every year with my tax software and obviously ZA is free.
Old 07-26-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use ZoneAlarm and McAfee with no problems.
Old 07-26-05, 04:46 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use ZoneAlarm, Nortons and AVG. Seems to be doing the trick.
Old 07-28-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I finally got ZoneAlarm Pro 6 and am taking Norton off.

I have used Norton forever, but they just don't seem to be keeping up.

And ZoneAlarm gives me both my firewall and antivirus and seems to be doing a good job.
Old 07-29-05, 05:25 PM

I tried the EZ products about a year ago when I got them free. I don't remember how I got them for free (probably signed up for something), but I tried them out and almost immediately uninstalled them. In my opinion, they were absolutely horrible.

I now use Zone Alarm and Avast, and love them.
Old 07-29-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost everything I've read highly recommends Zone Alarm. However, I am quite certain EZ actually uses the Zone Alarm firewall. Maybe the full version of Zone Alarm has some additional features, but EZ is just Zone Alarm with a different name.
Old 07-30-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i'm currently using the avast! home version anti-virus program and am happy with it.
avast!
DITTO! Avast does such a solid job and has good virus definition updates. So I refuse to pay for Norton or McAfee when I can get a free AV programs that does more than a solid enough job.

As for firewalls, I've used both Kerio and Zone Alarm. Both are good.