Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Can I Make a Linksys WRT54G Act Like an Airport?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-23-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On an Apple Airport, you can a password for the wireless network. On the Linksys and an old SMC wireless base I have you can do WEP. But WEP wants you to enter a 26-digit hex number each time to join. I just want to type a password.

I'm trying to come up with the best way to secure the Linksys. First, I had it set up with WEP, I disable SSID broadcast, and did MAC address security. This proved to be too much because our Powerbooks would "forget" the WEP hex password and I'd have to go to a wired machine and go into the config to get it.

What is the best way for me to achieve reasonable security?
Old 07-23-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On my iBook it remebers my 26-digit hex just like my Dell 600m. I have the b not the g router but I would assume they act the same.
Old 07-23-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CRM114

On an Apple Airport, you can a password for the wireless network. On the Linksys and an old SMC wireless base I have you can do WEP. But WEP wants you to enter a 26-digit hex number each time to join. I just want to type a password.

I'm trying to come up with the best way to secure the Linksys. First, I had it set up with WEP, I disable SSID broadcast, and did MAC address security. This proved to be too much because our Powerbooks would "forget" the WEP hex password and I'd have to go to a wired machine and go into the config to get it.

What is the best way for me to achieve reasonable security?
Enable WPA security. Doesn't OS X support that?
Old 07-23-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
On my iBook it remebers my 26-digit hex just like my Dell 600m. I have the b not the g router but I would assume they act the same.
OK. Let me experiment some more...
Old 07-23-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Enable WPA security. Doesn't OS X support that?
Yes, it does. I just don't know what the best and easiest route to take would be. It appears from this article that WPA will work for my needs in that I just have to remember a password. The article also states:

"As you probably know by now, WEP is inherently insecure, which means that any person intent on eavesdropping on your network communication can do so with the appropriate tools."

So I guess WPA is the better route to take.

Last edited by CRM114; 07-23-05 at 10:52 PM.