Reload this Page >

Help downloading email

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help downloading email

Old 07-23-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help downloading email

I am currently in NYC and using my friend's internet connection. The past few days everything has been fine, but in the last 24 hours I have not been able to download/send email through Eudora 6.2. I'm an Earthlink customer, as is my friend, and I can still connect to Webmail through the internet but I cannot download.

I've tried turning off my firewall, turning off Ad-watch, changed the settings within Eudora, but each time Eudora tells me that it has timed-out after searching for about two minutes for pop.earthlink.net (which eudora recommends)or mail.earthlink.net (the setting i've used for the past few years.)

Any help? anybody else having the same issue?

I've also scanned with spybot and ad-aware and nothing has come up. No viruses through Norton either. I've also jumped onto some neighbors' wireless connections and no luck.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-24-05, 07:25 AM
Mod Emeritus

Broadband or dial-up? http://www.expita.com/earthlink.html

A tip that worked in the past was to go into the server settings and delete them and close down the program. Then re-open and enter in the same settings that you'd just deleted. Several times I've read of people doing this and admitting that it fixed something or other that had become corrupted. Same with password problems etc.

Because this is something that you are experiencing at a location other than where you normally log-on and because the webmail side is working, I'm left wondering whether it is a DNS issue. It is possible that, even using the same ISP as you both do, your local servers are set up differently at the point of entry.

As I say, necessarily this will be little more than a stab in the dark. Years ago when I had some mail server issues at home I did a search and found some alternative mail server names that were recognised. I think the ISPs newsgroups explained that there were some difficulties that came to light when aliases are changed by the ISP techies [e.g. say mail.earthlink.net aliased to hawk.prod.itd.earthlink.net and someone turned off "hawk") &/or people stopped using cached DNS results. It was one up from gobbledygook at the time but the solution worked.... and are you using smtp.earthlink.net [or maybe smtpauth.earthlink.net] as the outgoing email server? Better still, check through this page and associated links. They also have an email "helper program" here.

If none of the above is any good, is your friend using earthlink's DNS rather than anything else e.g. the Windows DNS server? I've seen the following recommended but appreciate that they could now be out of date:

Primary DNS field: 207.217.126.81
Secondary DNS field: 207.217.77.82

Last edited by benedict; 07-24-05 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-24-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm running on broadband here.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, despite the good advice, it's still not working. I've even tried pinging all the known addresses for earthlink pop mail but those come up empty handed as well. I've also tried it through Outlook and the same thing happens there, so it's either Earthlink or I guess the router could be blocking it even though everything was kosher for about 5 days.

As you said, this isn't where I primarily log-on so I might just cool my jets until I get home. But, not having to login to webmail is one of the reasons that I have a laptop now so it's sort of frustrating.

benedict, thanks again for the suggestions.