Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Choppy video at time watching DVDs on laptop...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-22-05, 08:07 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have InterVideo's WinDVD 4, running on an IBM ThinkPad T41 with 1GB of RAM. Windows XP with SP2.

Wathcing DVDs directly from the drive or even SVCD that I've copied to the HD, I get skips and momentary freezing on the playback. At first I thought it was the internal DVD Drive on the laptop but I've copied content of SVCDs to the HD and tried it that way and still get the same result. Could the problem be in the WinDVD? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-22-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Make sure you've got DMA enabled.
Old 07-22-05, 09:49 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Alvis
Make sure you've got DMA enabled.
Confirmed,
I check in Device Mgr for the Primary IDE channel and its set for DMA if available.

Last edited by ngp; 07-22-05 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-22-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm assuming that these DVDs play fine elsewhere, right? Are you able to test out other playback programs (like WMP, which I think should work too)? Have DVDs already played like this on this computer, or did the problem develop recently? Does your CPU seemed "taxed" when playing movies (or maybe you can hear the fan go into overdrive)?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions and no answers! But it could be a lot of things.
Old 07-25-05, 07:43 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
I'm assuming that these DVDs play fine elsewhere, right? Are you able to test out other playback programs (like WMP, which I think should work too)? Have DVDs already played like this on this computer, or did the problem develop recently? Does your CPU seemed "taxed" when playing movies (or maybe you can hear the fan go into overdrive)?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions and no answers! But it could be a lot of things.
The DVDs play fine in other devices such as my stand-alone DVD player. Other programs like RealPlayer, WMP, etc. appear to play video just fine. Its only within this application using DVDs and MPEG4 content. It used to play fine before. Its a work laptop and gets updates (MS Security updates, application updates, etc.) all the time so I couldn't tell you everything that may have changed on it over the past couple of months.

Is there a freeware DVD player that I can try other than the WinDVD4 that I have installed currently?
Old 07-25-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ngp
Is there a freeware DVD player that I can try other than the WinDVD4 that I have installed currently?
Try VideoLan Client.

http://www.videolan.org/
Old 07-25-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i use media player classic. works a champ.
Old 07-25-05, 09:48 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Alvis
Try VideoLan Client. http://www.videolan.org/
Thanks Alvis, it looks good so far...I'll try it out with some of the DVDs that I was having trouble with and see if it works better!