Reload this Page >

I think my MOBO is fried

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I think my MOBO is fried

Old 07-21-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my MOBO is fried

All right, so I got into playing WoW but some parts were a little buggy on my comp so I decided to upgrade RAM from 512 to 1024 (DDR 333/PC 2700). After buying the RAM locally I went home to put it in. First boot up the new RAM didn't show up, so I took it apart and reseated it. When I went to restart my comp there was no video. I thought it was the RAM so I took it out and reseated it, and had the same problem. I tried every combination of the two sticks, including just the old one but I still had the same problem. I then took out my video card (9800 Pro 128) but that didn't seem to be the problem as I even tried some of my roommates' cards, including a PCI, and it didn't fix it. The problem is that it seems to boot up, the fans are running, the HD is running, but I just don't get any video. I think my MOBO is fried, what do you all think?

I haven't tried to reset the CMOS yet, so that is the next step, but I would please like some other opinions before I throw down some money because I am a poor college student.

Here are the basics of my comp:
CHAINTECH 9EJL1 APOGEE ATX
intel Pentium 4 2.4B Northwood 533MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor
Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR 333
PNY 512MB PC2700 DDR Memory - new addition
Radeon 9800 Pro 128
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JB 80GB 7200

So, what do you all think? Any help, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-21-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428322

Do all these symptoms happen with your computer? If so, it probably is your motherboard.

Originally Posted by Lateralus
The power went out today and my computer went down hard. I turned it back on when the power came back up but my computer seems to be fried.

1.) lights and the fans on the processor, motherboard and box all work fine.

2.) no video signal getting to my monitor

3.) CD-ROMS have power but I could not open them up till I removed the PCI cable from the back.

4.) no beeps at all nothing, does not even get to the POST